Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered 2 x 250W eheim heaters for my 120 gallon tank. They are rated for up to 159 gallons each, just wanted 2 for emergency situations in case 1 fails the other will keep the tank heated.

Well I was getting them set at the same temp, I set the first to 79 and left it over night and it checked in the morning and it was 77 so I moved the calibration lever to 77 and then turned it up to 79. It held the temp fine at 79.

On to the second heater; I did the same method and set it to 79 left over night and came back and the tank was at 83. Moved the calibration lever to 83 and turned it down to 79 but the "heat on" light never turned off. I turned it all the way down to 65 and the light just stays on and never goes off.

Anyone ever had problems with these eheim heaters? I figured they were good heaters, I've had one on my 2o gallon for 5 years and never had a problem with it.

I just hate to take it out and return it cause it's s pain the way I have it in my sump I have to drain the sump, disconnect all the plumbing and pull the sump out of the cabinet to remove the heaters.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Can you tell by feel if the heater is actually heating? If so, it sounds like the contacts have welded together. A fatal flaw in many heaters.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I have 3. I assume yours are Eheim Jager with the red calibrate dial?
No problems yet here, other than one that won't calibrate properly, the calibrate dial doesn't turn far enough for the temp it's at.
On a side note, when you get your heater issues sorted, you'd be better of setting one of the heaters 5-10* lower than the other. It's a better redundancy method. Backup as opposed to duplicate.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Backup vs. duplicate is one of those choices that we have to make and it sometimes depends on where we are which seems better. In your area, letting the fish get cold may be the hazard. In my area, letting the fish get too hot is more likely. For me having the second heater doubles the chance of one sticking on and overheating so I opt for one heater which is small. Heaters are a dangerous and tedious but neccessary nuisance. I've killed many fish one at a time but my heaters tend to kill them all at once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts