Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've posted about this before but it's getting annoying again...

My eheim pro ii 2026 is grinding again. I've turned it off, cleaned out the impeller, started it up, gotten the air out of the system (tilting it from side to side, the whole 9 yards), and it still "grinds" constantly and it's REALLY annoying...

What do you all suggest I do? :-?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well the noise usually comes either from the impeller or the shaft. When one or the other is worn out the "spinning motion" gets out of axle and annoying noise follows. In some rare case its the impeller's blades that rattle against the plastic housing...but i've never had this issue with a canister filter.. ever.

You say you cleaned the impeller but you need to clean the shaft as well. I use q-tips and hot tap water usually to also clean the plastic housing. If after all that it is still noisy you need to order some spare parts.

Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Been there. It's so frustrating when you've thought you've done everything and the grinding continues.

On my Eheim 2128, "grinding" has come from several sources:

1) Broken impeller http://www.eheimparts.com/client/homepage.aspx Ouch!
2) Broken impeller shaft
3) Gunk caught in the impeller well (as mentioned above)
4) Worn out rubber seal prevents the motor from settling properly, even though the clips snap shut
5) Cavitation caused by impeded inflow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation
6) Gremlins

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to take it out and clean it again... It runs fine and water flow is all the way to the top, and things seem to be in working order.

Here's to hoping.....

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still grinding.... covered it up to muffle the sound with two towels for now... same noise

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK. First of all. Turn off your filter. If it's grinding, you may break something expensive.

I thought about something else that has happened to me. And I think that's its your problem, assuming that everything else mentioned above has been eliminated.

Go here:

http://www.eheimparts.com/client/homepage.aspx

"Pump cover" part#7444420 snaps into place when you reinstall your impeller. If it doesn't snap properly, the vibration of the properly running impeller will eventually shake it loose so that the impeller falls out of place. The pump cover seal may be gummed up or the snap fastener may be worn out from continuous use. Mine broke. Anyway, it's (relatively) cheap to replace - especially when compared to an impeller.

The fact that it runs OK for a while before grinding indicates to me that this might be your problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oops! I thought that the link I posted was from the 2026 expanded parts diagram / parts order page. Funny, it reverts to the home page. I wonder why Eheim's webmaster did this?

Anyway, thanks Newforestrob!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The little clip that you mentioned clips on fine, but I'll open it again to be sure!

I turned it off about an hour ago and just figure i'll leave it off for a while and try it again tonight and see if that makes a difference

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK, but test it. See how easy it is to pry loose. If it's really easy, then it could still be opening up when your filter is closed.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just tried, it clips firmly. Plugged it back in and got the air out of the system and the grinding got louder and almost pulsing like wwwoooohhwwwwoooohh if that makes any sense.

Needless to say i turned it back off

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Decided to fix the problem by taking the 2026 off and putting my AQ110 on in its place...

A bit of overkill I guess but the tetras are still happy.

Aq110 and Aq50 on a 37 gallon lol

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I run several models of Eheim and sometimes get the parts mixed up. There is a rubber nob at the ends of the ceramic shaft. You want to make that they fit snuggly in the cover and the bottom. If loose, the whole shaft assembly will wobble and rattle.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts