Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was bored today and took a ride to LFS and seen one of these sitting on the shelf.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Quick_ ... BO-vi.html

Thought what the heck and grabbed on to try for cleaning out my fry tanks and what not when a water change is not needed. Once I got it home I thought hey I could clean out my main tank too and get all the junk off the sand that builds up in one corner and not have to siphon out any water when it isnt needed.

So do you guys think that this will suck up any sand and destroy the vac or think it will be ok? I haven't even tried it out yet, but plan on doing it tonight when I do some cleaning and see how it goes. If anyone has one of these please chime in and let me know what you think and if it is safe to use on a sand substrate or not before I destroy it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luckily I didnt pay that much, am great friends w a guy who is now manager there so got it for cost, about $30. I commented on the price and he is like let me check, its been here a while at that price maybe you can try it out and see how it works?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
Luckily I didnt pay that much, am great friends w a guy who is now manager there so got it for cost, about $30. I commented on the price and he is like let me check, its been here a while at that price maybe you can try it out and see how it works?
That always helps

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I put it together and it seems fairly well built..... Has a removable/replaceable impeller and is quite long with both the attachments on it (about 2 feet) so should make it nice and easy to reach bottom of my 75g!

I really want to try it, but with a 19 month old little girl (the boss) she has a tendency to take EVERYTHING out from the fish stand and gets in to the water, so have to wait for her to go to sleep before I can do all my stuff tonight.

She helps with the 10g "Baby Fisheys", even "helps me carry the bucket of water, hold the hose, and everything! :D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
Well I put it together and it seems fairly well built..... Has a removable/replaceable impeller and is quite long with both the attachments on it (about 2 feet) so should make it nice and easy to reach bottom of my 75g!

I really want to try it, but with a 19 month old little girl (the boss) she has a tendency to take EVERYTHING out from the fish stand and gets in to the water, so have to wait for her to go to sleep before I can do all my stuff tonight.

She helps with the 10g "Baby Fisheys", even "helps me carry the bucket of water, hold the hose, and everything! :D
:lol: cute

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I finally just tried it out.....

Only tried it on my fry tank (10g) and it works great for getting that uneaten food and poo off the care bottom.

It is a little long though so I ended up not putting the end attachment piece on to get in there easier. This is the main reason I bought it for so am pleased with what it did there. Read some reviews that the mesh screen was too big and would let small particles out, but even the uneaten food didnt make it through it at all.

Did read though on the Eheim website that is not recommended for use on fine sand so am a little apprehensive on trying it on my main tank, but what the heck, might as well. Think as long I am careful with my finger on the button to shut it off quick I will be ok. Since I will be able to see if any sand is being sucked up hopefully I can stop it before anything bad happens.

So far if your looking for a quick and easy way to clean a fry tank this seems to be the ticket as long as it lasts.

Will update more results tomorrow once I can "put it through its paces" :p

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have one and I do like it but I don't use it on my tank with sand. Works great with gravel and it does let really small particles through the mesh so at time it does cloud the water a little but it great for the times you just want to do a quick clean without doing a major water change.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Another alternative. Mr. Cleaner. Cheap and works great with sand. Just remove the gravel end and run the tube over the sand like you would a siphon hose. Picking up a little sand does no harm. I've used one for years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts