Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 40g tank at a garage sale for $7.00. Re- siliconed it and built a new aquarium cabinet. I,m at the stage where I'm shopping for a good canister at a decent price. Any suggestions? Anybody have any thoughts on a Eheim classic 2213? and where would you recommend buying it ( in other words, the cheapest price) :dancing: :dancing:

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
The 2213 is a fine filter, and perfectly suitable for a 40G. That said, if a 2215 or even a 2217 is in your budget, you won't regret the upgrade! The main difference between these filters is larger media volume in the filters with the higher numbers. The more media volume you have, the less frequent you have to do filter maintenance, the less you disturb your bacteria. I have used a 2217 on a 29G, and boy, I think I only had to open that filter about once per year! It's now running on a 75G, and I open it every 2-3 months. Still good, but the combo with the 29G was a dream come true :lol:

For the best price, buy used! Lots of people buy fancy tanks and don't stick with the hobby. Their loss can be your gain, and unless you run an Eheim classic series filter for hours without water, there really is no way to destroy these things. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I completely agree. I have a 2217 as well as a Fluval 405 on my 75g planted tank, and the Eheim is MUCH better. The flow is not quite as strong, but the maintenance is much easier and it runs a little quieter. I really like that if you shine a light up to the 2217 you can see whats goin on in your can, unlike the Fluval. Oh, and I have broken the "AquaStop" twice on my fluval. POS.

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that there are no media baskets included, which the Fluval has. (You could prob make your own baskets if one was so inclined...)

Regarding where to buy whatever canister you are looking for, I would say Craigslist. Up here in Baltimore though, canisters are hard to come by. I did get my Fluval in a package with a 29g for $50, and my 2217 with my 75g tank for $150. Also got another canister (Fluval 403) when my neighbors moved out and left it on their porch :D

There is a local guy around here that has a rena xp2 for $60 and a fluval 305 for $80. Also has an FX5 for $175 :drooling: Wish I had the cash! You never know what you can find.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
WillWork4Fish16 said:
Oh, and I have broken the "AquaStop" twice on my fluval.
I just remembered I left the AquaStop valve closed after my water change tonight! Thanks!

The 2213 is a fine canister - I have one on my 29 gallon South American tank. It runs quietly (as do my Fluval 405 and Fluval 105) and is easy to clean (as are my Fluval 405 and Fluval 105.)

My only problem with it is the ugly green hosing. If you don't mind the colour or are able to cover it up then you may not care.

Oh, and the instructions that come with it are pretty unhelpful, especially if you've never set up an Eheim.

But Frank makes a good point: if you're looking at the 2213, see if the 2215 or 2217 are in the budget. Bigger is (almost) always better!

kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts