Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone on this board who uses Eheim filters can help with my choice. I am setting up a 210 Tropheus tank and I will be using an Eheim canister filter as I prefer their products, however I am stuck on deciding wether to get the 2180 or a 2262. I have a couple of the classic 2217's and I like them a lot but I'm a little hesitant regarding the large size of the 2262 in regards to cleaning this monster. The 2180 seems like it is fairly easy in this regard and it also has a built in heater.
If anyone can weigh in regarding their experience with these particular filters that would really help me out a lot. Thanks a head of tome :)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I just added a 2262 to my 210g that had two 2217's on it. I will be removing one of the 2217's in a few weeks. I wish I would have bought the 2262 years ago when I first set up the tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
I like to keep it simple and the Classic series are very simple. I've got two 2260's and one 2262 and they are great filters. You can always get a Hydor ETH 300W heater and put it inline on the output hose.

I have no personal experience with the 2180. I prefer to keep my filters as simple and non-electronic as possible.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The 2180 will not be enough to filter a 210. It just does not move enough water and will be lacking for mech filtration. Go with a 2262 if that will be your primary means of filtration.

I have a 2080 set up on a 210 for redundancy and it would not cut it if not for the sump that we use for our primary method of filtration.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would also recommend the 2262 - it has some serious horsepower. I have several 2260, 2262 and 2080 filters. The 2260/62 aren't really any harder to clean than the 2080 with their baskets, if you set your media up in bags. And the weight diff between the 2 isn't that major - the 2080 is still a pretty big can, although still smaller than the 2260/62. And as deeda suggested, you can always put an in-line heater - I love the hydor in-lines - and if you have to replace the heater, it will be a lot cheaper doing it that way - I can only imagine what the heater replacement costs for a 2180!. Depending on what you have fishwise in the tank, you might want to have a second filter like a 2217 that noddy has on his set up. I run my large filters on 150 and 215 tanks and always run a second filter no matter what - usually a 2217 or a 2028. And like fox, I run a 2260 on a 215 despite having a sump system with a fluidized bed. I always like to have a back-up and over filter capacity.
If you choose to go the classic series, you won't regret it. If you are sold on the Pro 3, for my money, I would go with the 2080 versus the 2180 and do the in-line heater.
Good luck with your choice - your going with the best !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts