Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Eheim auto feeder that feeds up to 4 times a day. Would this work ok to feed my growout tank? I got it with a used tank I bought but never used it. Wondering if would feed too much at a time.

Also how big are fry when they usually can start eating small flakes and find them in a 10g tank? I have moved them to a 10g under my stand into a breeder net from the 20g long/breeder box and want to get them out of that net so they can roam the whole tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
The Eheim feeder would probably work just fine but you'll have to tweak it to dispense the correct amount of the particular food you will be feeding. You may even have to apply a piece of tape over 1/2 the slot for very fine food.

I've been using mine with 2mm NLS pellets for the big tank and it works great!!! I have it set on top of my glass canopy and it dispenses through a small slot I created by removing the stock hinge for the canopy lid.

Be aware that the feeder hates to go swimming in the aquarium and may not work if it does. Find a secure location to set/mount it. I never used the small velcro tape provided with mine.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dee, Wish mine came with a peice of velcro tape! Ohh Well I have about 10 feet of it in the garage and will have to do that so it doesnt go for a swim. I see its like $50 for one of them! I like the idea of it since I am in and out of the house so much its hard to have an actual schedule for feeding them. Also was gonna try the tape idea but was worried that the adhesive on the tape could contaminate the tank one way or another so didnt do that.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I have a couple different auto feeders and find them to be very hard to do a consistent feeding. Seems to come out in lumps sometimes. Too much moisture in the area so that the food lumps up?? Not sure of the cause. For when the fry will be up to eating , it will depend on what cichlids you have. Some of the African cichlids are pretty much ready to take finely crushed flakes from day one. Other cichlids like rainbow cichlids are not able/willing to take much of anything other than newly hatched brine shrimp at first. Angelfish and other egg layers seem to be much smaller in general and take longer to get around to eating flakes. Some are ready when the egg sac is gone, others seem to need training.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one I am dealing with are Yellow Labs and Demasoni. The actual Demasoni "fry" I am feeding baby brine shrimp and Hikari First bites. The Labs are about a 3/4" are taking ground flakes readily so that is what I am using this for.

About the clumping issue this one has a little fan that aerates the food to supposedly keep it dry and loose or not clumped. Only time will tell on that one though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts