Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Yesterday i set up a new 200 liter tanganyika tank, but have some issues with my filter:
It is a new bought eheim prof 4+ 350. I primed it accordingly to the manual, using the prime button a couple of times.
That worked okay, water coming from the aquarium filled up the filter and when i turned it on it had a nice flow and it seemed all good.
Afterwards i pushed the prime button a couple of times more, that pushed some more air out.

But from the beginning, the filter has a distinct humming noise, which is just a little bit too loud for my taste. So i read that there could be more air in the filter, so i tilted it and rattled it. There I noticed that the actual waterlevel inside the filter is not up to the top, see this picture here, where i indicated thbe level with a red line.

Now i don't know if this is normal and if this could increase the noise level of the filter? Do i need to empty the canister again and re-prime it? Could this hurt the cycling process, which i started yesterday...? Any tips or advice?

BTW, here's is a shot of the new tank :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would not empty it, I would open it up, fill it with water, close it back up and start it. I never rely on just the hand pump to prime; I always fill the canister first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried both now..filling it up with water and also removing all water from the canister and priming by letting water flow from the tank. Both times it didn't end up beeing filled up completely. Anyways, I called Eheim and they said it just wont fill up to the very top, so I guess that is normal. Regarding the noise they said I should give it a week or so and see if it gets better on its own, else call again..

Let's see..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.