Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

just bought 2262 online for 429 and 5l of substratpro for 53 bucks. I got online next day and 2262 is 50 bucks more. This reminds me of when I was purchasing parts for an 85 mercedes. Each time someone viewed the products the price went up. Has anyone else noticed this? Is every piece of equipment really from one middle-man?

later

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point :) Well, just picked up 220gal from "craig" came with fx5. Have subsrtatpro comming for 2262 but need media for fx. Has anyone advice? Fluval recomended, or biobale, or ??. maybe fluval would be better suited for mostly mech? Also, gunna do a fishless cycle. What kind of ammonia do I use. (I know I may have answered that question NH3=NH3) I mean does laundry ammo work?

·
Registered
656 Posts
For the ammonia, The best results are from the "ACE hardware" janitorial strength ammonia. If you don't have an ace nearby, be sure you are getting "clear" ammonia, the bottle should NOT say it contains surfactants, and the stuff should NOT foam up like soap when you shake it up.

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
I use Seachem Pond Matrix in my FX5 because it is a larger diameter than the regular Matrix & won't fall through the media tray holes. Or you can put the smaller media in a media bag and place it in the media tray.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I run several of the 2260/62 and set them up with about 1-2" of effi mech on the bottom, followed by a 5L ehfi-fix, then either seachem matrix in a large media bag or biobale. I will say the biobale makes the unit a lot lighter to move around although that isn't that often BUT it also rinses really easy when cleaning the cannister.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Acuatlly I use the Eheim media for my Fluval center basket. I use the FX5 sponges for the outer.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
On the ammonia point, be sure to read carefully. Some ammonia is labeled clear but has surfacants ( soap?). It requires reading the ingredients listed on the bottle side sometimes. I find the correct ammonia hard to find, here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts