Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my tank running and stocked for about seven weeks. It's a 110 gallon tank with twenty-five 1.5 to 2.5" tropheus. I'm thinking of waiting till twelve weeks or longer before I clean the filter for the first time. Is this reasonable?

I do close to 100% water changes every week and suspect that I vacuum most of the waste rather than it being picked up by the filter.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would do some testing and consider it time to clean when the water begins to show more nitrate than I wanted. On a new setup, there is no way to say what is reasonable until you know how that tank, with that stocking works with the way you maintain it. The 100% water change sounds unneeded to me and prone to making abrupt changes in the water qualities for the fish but if it works for the way you operate, then it works. How is the water flow on the filter as compared to when it was first running? If it is dropping off visibly, I would not wait much longer. The bacteria need O2 to stay alive and when the water stops, the O2 stops.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The water changes are split over two days (one midweek and one on the weekend). My nitrates are usually around 5 ppm.

I think the water flow from the filter is pretty much unchanged (if I turn the filter on when the water level is below the spray bar, the water still pretty much hits the other side of the tank, six feet away).

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I wouldnt yet,seven weeks would be still considered "fragile",I have a 2075 pro 3,that I just rinsed after 6 months,thats only because of the noticeable flow drop,if you are doing reg. wc and not noticing increase in trates I would wait

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It the water flow is good, and nitrates aren't a problem, then there's no reason to risk it right now. Nothing to gain. Wait the 12 weeks.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I wait 12 weeks between cleaning my 2217's, I won't open up the 2262 until at least 16 weeks. Hey Zimmy, do you happen to remember how much earlier than you I set up mine? I have lost track of time and somehow managed to erase all my p.m's. I remember sending you one that said something along the lines of "you'r gonna love yours". Cheers.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
One of the things I like about the Ehiem's is that you can see throught the can sides without opening them. A bright light like an LED flashlight in a dark cabinet will let you peak inside. Expect to see some grung at the bottom for sure but oless as you work your way up. You can see that there is very little bypass.

·
Super Moderator
2,025 Posts
PfunMo said:
One of the things I like about the Ehiem's is that you can see throught the can sides without opening them. A bright light like an LED flashlight in a dark cabinet will let you peak inside. Expect to see some grung at the bottom for sure but oless as you work your way up. You can see that there is very little bypass.
I use this method on the smaller Classics. Doesn't work on the 2250/2260/2262 because the canister body is solid green.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
You are correct. I should have been aware of that. I just passed on getting the newer ones as I like almost everything about the classic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2260 on my 150 gallons, that I opened about 7 month after I started it. Or was it 8 months? Result: it was pristine! Juste a little gunk at the bottom, no clogging of the media at all. I use a "prefilter" though, in the form of a mosquito screen my intake is behind a DIY 3D background and the screening stops the fish from entering behind the background. I'll espace the "cleaning" to 9-10 months next time, and I think I'll be able to do it once a year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts