Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being out of the hobby for 6yrs I'm currently starting up another tank. This time I'm running a Eheim 2262 and I filled it with the following media;

green screen short legs
5L Eheim Substrat Pro in Eheims' media bag
3/4" Synfil poly mat
3/4" Synfil poly mat
2" 20ppi Poret foam
1" 10ppi Poret foam (I originally used a 2" piece but the lid wouldn't close)
5L Eheim Ehfimech
green screen long legs
BOTTOM

Filled to the top;
Media stacked.jpg

*Just an FYI, the stock 2260/2262 spraybar specs are;
- 15 3/4" wide
- 1/2" I.D.
- 12x - 5/32" diameter holes

The first thing I do with a new filter is make a PVC intake and spraybar. The spraybar is 37" wide and I'm using 3/4" I.D. PVC. The output of the 1262 pump is 5/8" in diameter so I drilled 17x - 1/8" diameter holes which equals 5/8" in diameter. I made multiple spraybars out of cheap white PVC first before drilling the black PVC. I tested 5/32 and 3/16 holes. I liked 1/8 holes the best because I could use more holes and they were spaced closer together. Being closer together really makes the top of the water ripple as you can see in the video below.

Spraybar.

90° elbow (please excuse the dust from the sand. :D )

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I switched it up and made a new one. It's 40" wide and has 11 holes that are 3/16" in diameter.

The holes in the bar are positioned at 90°. When I pointed them more towards the surface the 2262 wants to shoot water out of the tank when I remove the glass lid(s). Even at 90° it still has plenty of surface agitation.
2262 spraybar aim.jpg

I found one of my old FX5 spraybar videos. I don't remember how many holes it had but it was around the same width but had 1/8" diameter holes.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AV8TOR said:
Sub-Mariner said:
I switched it up and made a new one. It's 40" wide and has 11 holes that are 3/16" in diameter.
How did you secure the spray bar to the tank?
The two 90° elbows keep it secure.
20190331_133530.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AV8TOR said:
Sub-Mariner said:
The two 90° elbows keep it secure.
Same on the other end but plugged. Great job!
That was actually my intake but yeah for the spraybar one end has the pump output hose connected to a little piece of PVC and the other end is capped.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts