Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the eheim 2229 that came with my tank when I bought it, still waiting for the media to come in the mail, but wonderig if I should try and sell the 2229 and buy the Fluval fx5. I found the fx5 on e-bay and amazon for around $250 new. What are your opinions?

This will be for a 125 gallon male peacock tank.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Never owned an eheim but the fx5 is a beast. I built a custom 72" spray bar for my 125 with a t and 9 elbows and I get more then enough surface agitation.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
The 2229 is a bio media only filter so I would recommend getting an additional filter for your 125G tank.

Which media did you order for the 2229 filter?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I use an FX5 on my 125. Works great.

Don't know the specs on that eheim though - eheim has a great reputation.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the Eheim Substrait pro. Its what I have in my other filter for my 46 gallon planted.

·
Registered
509 Posts
That media would work fine in the FX5. I vote sell the 2229 and buy a FX5 since the flow rate on the 2229 is probably not enough for you to run that filter on your tank as the only filter.

·
Banned
406 Posts
FX5 is a beast...if youre using eheims substratepro in a FX5 make sure you use a mesh bag to keep them it in.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
check ebay & craigslist

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
MandyBlue said:
What do you think a fair price would be for my 2229? :-?
That is a tough question to answer as used equipment varies in price considerably from region to region. If the filter works properly and comes with the Substrat Pro, the hoses may need to be replaced due to being cut for a specific tank, I wouldn't pay more than $100 myself. But then I'm not in need of that specific model.

Why not just use it on your tank in addition to another filter? You already have it & it would be fine as a second filter. Of course if you need the money to get a different filter, that would be an entirely different story.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Maybe $150-$200.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The Eheim is definitely a better filter. It also uses better media. This is coming from someone that has both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts