Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I posted a question on this before I got the Eheim 2217 set up on my 55g tank. It seems like a **** of a lot of flow going through the tank. Is this too much? I have a link to a short video of it listed here. Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
In short....NO

HEHE///your good..flow is not a problem with mbuna unless you have like 3 fx5 running or something like that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Fill your tank up more. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Not to me. I would want to fill it as you say. That will quiet it a lot. With the rocks you have the fish will be able to find quiet spots where they can rest if they want. Over time the flow will also be reduced as the media and all the tubing, spraybar and such get some algae on them. If you do want to reduce the flow and don't want the hassle of trading filters, you do have the option of adding another layer of media in the canister. More media reduces flow and perhaps there would be some improvement in filtering. I find my 2217 does well and have never tinkered with changing the media other than switching to a pad I cut from flat sheets of blue/white bonded pad. I did this more to cut expense than to improve filtering. Swinging the spraybar to run along the long side will also change the apparent flow as it will make more current in that end but less apparent current on the overall tank.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Should be fine. The velocity will slow down when you fill it all the way.

If you still want to lower the flow then just drill out the spray bar holes with one size larger. Or you can use the valve on the outlet of the 2217 to restrict flow (outlet valve only).

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Either that or lower your spray bar. It looks like you have alot of flow because of all the bubbles but it isnt that much. Your good! Just put more water or lower the spray bar.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I filled the tank up that extra inch and it is quiet as can be. It seems that the flow has died down a bit as you guys suggested it would.

When I attached the outlet pipe it didn't go on as "flat" as I had hoped, and I couldn't rotate it once it was on. It is pointed down into the tank at an angle (like 35 degrees down, you might see in the video. Should it be more flat across the top of the tank, or is this kind of downward-ish flow ok?

Thanks again all. Great forum I've joined here!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would prob put more straight across just because it would flow across the top, hit the far side and roll around back across the bottom more in tern helping push the poo back to the intake.

Edit: I now see your intake is opposite end. I would try it both ways and see what you like better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks benjammin, I'll try it the way it is for a while and see how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts