Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a Eheim 2217 filter with no media.
Need to know if I should purchase the media that comes with the filter or can I just load it up with the plastic pot scrubbers.
Do I need to purchase the spray bar and if so which one the 494 or 594. Curretly have the spray bar that came with the filter.
What is the purpose of the Eheim Water System Installation Sets

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I own two 2217's, I just use everything that came with the filter and I like it. but I also added some bulk quilt batting to extra mechanical

the outlet hose should have the size written on it, so match it to the spraybar kit if you decide to buy the new one, but there is no need to

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think it has been debated and somewhat proven that pot scrubbers work great in a sump but not in a canister.

I would run a good biological media like the ehfisubstrat pro in the 2217.

If the stock intake and outlet work for you and you don't mind sucking on the outlet tube to prime your filter then don't spend the money on the installation sets.

If you do want the installation sets then you get the larger diameter one for the intake (16/22 mm) and the smaller one for the outlet (12/16mm).

I bought both kits and ended up not using them with the exception of the intake strainer that I then painted brown.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I don't have to suck on anyhting to prime my filters, once water is in the hose it should fill itself once you open it up

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Correct on the sucking part. Fill the input tubing with water and close the valve at the bottom. Take it back to the tank and connect it. Once you open the valve the water will flow don and pull more into thetubing.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
now I sucked on it the first time to prime it, but one and done, the only time you have to do it again is if you pull the hoses off the tank, which i never do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts