Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so two of the four clamps to attach the head of the filter fell off, i am having the hardest time getting them in, does anyone know a easy way to get these off and on easier then what i have been trying....

And now i have no idea, the instructions suck, and have no idea how to even set this thing up... someone help

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi, the clamps should go back in easily enough, maybe you need to post a photo of the head and clamp to see if anything is broken?

Regarding setting up this filter, it's pretty easy. Did you get a set of taps with it? If not I would highly recommend buying them as they make things so much simpler.

What media did you get with it?

Firstly you need to put teh media in the basket. The top of the filter basket lifts off with a slight turn anti-clockwise. I have the ceramic rings/tubes first, as mechanical pre-filter, then the blue foam on top of that. Next goes the substratpro biomedia (balls) if you have them, followed by teh white foam pad (fine filter) and then, if you wanted, the carbon pad on top of that. Pop the lid back on the basket and lock with a clockwise turn. Sit the basket in the canister, attach the head.

Pipes should be cut to length to suit the tank. They say equal lengths but I never have and don't see why.

The inlet pipe goes to teh bottom of the filter canister, the outlet to the top. If you have the valves put these near to the canister. I cut a 2" piece of pipe, attached that to the canister, then the valves, then the pipe to the tank.

Right, you are ready to go.

Open the valves if you have them, and if you are lucky the system will start to fill, syphoning from the tank into the filter, and expelling any air. Once you think the canister is full, give it a shake and you'll hear it fill some more. Once you think it's as full as it gets, plug it in and give it a bit more of a shake for 10-30 seconds until it quietens down (all teh air is out).

That should be it.

Cleaning is easy (again, with the valves).

Unplug, close all of the valves, remove the filter from the cabinet. Take the lot to your cleaning area/bucket, then open the top and bottom valve. The filter will drain into the bucket, backwashing all the debris out with it (good for the garden plants so keep this water!).

Remove the head and then the basket, rinse the white pad, empty the bioballs into the canister (you don't want to clean these!!) then rinse the blue pad. I then rinse the basket and pre-filter together, so you can leave the prefilter in the basket). Return the media to teh basket, rinse the canister, then refit.

When you come to start the pump, attach the pipes from the tank, open the bottom valve and then the top valve, and you will see teh syphon start automatically and go through the same strarting procedure as before.

Phew, hope that's what you wanted to know :-?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks again guys... i really appreciate all your help during my early stages of this hobby.... it makes it alot easier....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
up and running.... i hope its right.... bubbles coming out of the wand, and syphoned the water myself, just about swallowed my tank.... jk.... i hope its working the right way, but again thanks for everything...

·
Registered
121 Posts
dotbomb said:
Here is a similar thread that has some great links to setting up and maintenance.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=225021
Could have saved myself some typing if I'd found that :lol:

If you have bubbles coming out of the wand that sounds like you still may have air in the system? Give the canister a good rock back and forwards a few times, see if it clears. Unless you have the spraybar set above the water, then it might just be air mixing at the waters surface.

I have an Eheim Pro 2 waiting to be set up, but I am still thinking about selling it and getting another classic as I am very impressed with them!

Oh, and don't worry about swallowing the tank water, it's cleaner than your tap water - or it will be :lol:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Don't use your mouth to start a siphon, not all fish are healthy fish and there are certain diseases that can cross from fish to human, one being Fish Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium marinum).
However unlikely and rare, in my opinion it isn't worth the risk.
Some reading material, the addendum is particularly frightening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts