Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a 2028 and I clean it once every 6 months. I prepare 3 5-gallon buckets with dechlorinated water a couple of days ahead and use one bucket each to rinse each of the 3 trays of hard media. I found that using one bucket for all 3 trays wasn't enough. The water was pretty dirty by the time I rinsed the last tray of media. I just rinse the blue coarse sponge real well in plain tap water and replace the fine white pad. I always check to see if the output pressure is reduced when I do my weekly water changes. In addition to the 2028 I also have 2 HOB filters on the tank so that may be why I can get away with cleaning it at 6-month intervals.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Eheim recommends replacing one-third of the hard media, but I just keep reusing all of it. Rinsing is enough. The hard media is very expensive. Eventually I will replace it, but not in the foreseeable future. By the way, I never use carbon unless I need to remove a medication, and then I put it in my HOB filters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.