Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came home today and I noticed all the eggs are gone, and it has been about 4 days since my fish spawned. I noticed my fish were guarding this tower-like thing I have in the tank. I think they may have moved the fry in there. I did see a couple of small gray things moving around. Like pinhead small, is this the fry? Has anyone else seen fish move fry?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Yep the grey things you seen are the fry in their wriggler stage. And they moved the wrigglers in the tower. All cichlids will usually move the wrigglers! By the way what cichlids do you have?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Newly hatched JD wigglers are teeeeeny tiny little things...

I've seen JD pairs move wigglers from one side of a 75 gal during the day and then back to the other side at night... I've seen them do this every day even after the fry are free swimming.

The biggest reason they move fry is to keep them in a clean area. It's easier for the parent to dig a new pit (new pit = clean pit) then it is to clean out the old pit with fry in it. But I've also seen pairs pick a pit location based on tankmates activity, direct sunlight, etc...

Congratts...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts