Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help! i have been having a hrd time. i cannot find eggcrate any where homedepot doesnt carry, neither does lowes, or any lighting or hardware stores i have called around and visited many in the last few weeks. whats going on?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
don't meen to be a wise apple but did you check the lighting section?i asked for egg crate and they said they didn't carry that type of foam :roll: but they had it in the florescent light section.

·
Registered
901 Posts
fishwolfe said:
don't meen to be a wise apple but did you check the lighting section?i asked for egg crate and they said they didn't carry that type of foam :roll: but they had it in the florescent light section.
I had the same experience. I just looked around in the fluorescent lighting and found it myself. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i didnt ask, i just got high and wandered around lowes for a few hours... i found all kinds of nifty stuff :)

and yes i checked the lighting area

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx people of course i went directly to each stores lighting section. i even had them look threw the inventory on the computer to search for flourescent (light diffuser) no luck my local hardware store said nobody carries that type anymore i would have to go to a store specifically for lighting & i did that 5 in the nyc area with still no luck! whata bummer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's strange. I just came back from buying some egg crate from Home Depot. Hey Danielle, since you're just down the road in NYC, why don't you just hop on I-95 up to Boston. The Home Depots there carry them. Maybe you can even catch a Red Sox game while you're there! Sorry, I'm decked out in Sox gear waiting for the game to start...I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Our local Lowes does not have it, but our local Home Depot does. Go to the lighting department, find the dropped ceiling lighting, then look for the grids for that style lighting. If you cant find it ask an employee. It is expensive though! a 2' x 4' piece of egg crate will cost about $10.

If you still have trouble finding it pm me and i'll see if i can get a SKU or UPC for it and a HD employee can look it up in their computer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you so much brian. when i went into HD i went to lighting & found the flourescent drop lighting section. they carried the hoods/ canopy & bulbs but they did not carry any covers of any kind! tomorrow i am going to try again there are three around my immediate area that i am going back to & really search around can't hurt one more time. mayb i over looked it and i will definetly pm u this evening if i have no luck. thank you 4 helping me out. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
At my hd they are next to the florescant lenses. If they don't carry, ask them to. The prob I have is I only need a little and they don't carry the 2' sections only the 4' if it didn't cost so much to ship I'd give you the extra 3 feet i have.

·
Registered
349 Posts
its very hard to find! when i finally found it, it was in an area i had searched probably 5 times! they have a huge selection of every other type of cover but only 1 grid.. Ask an employee and try to be as descriptive as possible.. I was told they didnt carry it by one employee even after i told him i used to work at HD and had stocked it before! Its there... don't take no for an answer.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
RickB68 said:
Walmart carries it in the bedding section if you are talking about the foam type of egg crate.
They're talking about egg crate light lenses that are basically a plastic grid of 1/2" squares. Commonly used in the aquarium trade in filters and as separators in tanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
tannable75 said:
RickB68 said:
Walmart carries it in the bedding section if you are talking about the foam type of egg crate.
They're talking about egg crate light lenses that are basically a plastic grid of 1/2" squares. Commonly used in the aquarium trade in filters and as separators in tanks.
OH! You can tell I'm a noob! LOL! :oops:

·
Registered
160 Posts
RickB68 said:
tannable75 said:
RickB68 said:
OH! You can tell I'm a noob! LOL! :oops:
Don't feel bad. Years ago when a guy at the fish store was telling me he was using eggcrate instead of a glass top for his tank I asked him why he chose to use a foam mattress pad. He didn't laugh too hard. :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yeah, that looked at me funny when I said eggcrate, but when I told them its for lighting, they figured out what I was referring to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts