Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use regular bedding eggcrate to go between the tank and stand, or does everyone use foam? If foam is used, what kind and where do you get it?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I occasionally use egg crate (light diffuser) inside the aquarium to buffer the bottom from falling rocks, although I do not think I’ve ever had a situation where it actually protected the tank from damage (I feel it is a complete overkill protection, although overkill isn’t a bad thing)…

I’ve never used Styrofoam under a tank until recently. For many years I set the aquariums directly on the manufactured stand or the home made stand (I’ve made many of my own stands)…

I recently bought some used tanks that are ‘frameless’ sp the entire bottom pane of glass sits on the stand. In this situation I chose to use foam on top of plywood (for a fuller support) on top of the 2x4 stand…

Tanks blowing out is very uncommon, but not unheard of. But I highly suspect that almost every time a tank blows out, with proper analyzation we could identify the ‘user error’ that cased it…

…and I don’t mean any offense by this as I’ve had tanks blow out and I have identified my own user error…

I do not feel that using egg crate between the tank and stand would offer any benefits and would bring some liabilities… I would have to advise against it…

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think he's talking about the rolls of soft foam mattress pads that look like they're made to hold hundreds of eggs in this case, instead of the light diffusers we normally refer to as egg crate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts