Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have some 1 inch Cynotilapia with egg spots. They may have them at an even smaller size, but I can't see that well! :lol:

They do seem to develop more egg spots as they mature, and with some species, the egg spots will extend up into the dorsal...(I really like those...)

Egg spots are not indicative of male or female, just in case you aren't aware of that. It's a myth that goes around in the hobby.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cichlidaholic said:
I have some 1 inch Cynotilapia with egg spots. They may have them at an even smaller size, but I can't see that well! :lol:

They do seem to develop more egg spots as they mature, and with some species, the egg spots will extend up into the dorsal...(I really like those...)

Egg spots are not indicative of male or female, just in case you aren't aware of that. It's a myth that goes around in the hobby.
Yeah I know that to a point but maybe you can clear it up. I was under the impression that all males had them and some females have them so just because they have egg spots doesn't mean they are a male. From what your saying I'm starting to think that some males don't have them...? I just thought it was something they had to have in order for the in mouth fertilization to take places.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've never had a male who didn't have at least one egg spot. That isn't to say that someone else hasn't had a male without any! I've just never seen it with the species I've kept.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
We need to be careful here. It sounds like you guys are only talking about mbuna, but this is something that can apply to Malawis in general.

Yellow labs may have spots and may not, but they tend to only have a few. C. moorii do not have spots on either sex. With Ps. polit both sexes have spots, but the males tend to get many more and often will have spots on their dorsal fin, females very seldom show spots there.

Eggspots vary from species to species in number, size, and when they appear.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Dave said:
Eggspots vary from species to species in number, size, and when they appear.
Exactly...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah for my case I'm more interested in Mbuna. The labs and Demasoni stand out because thats what I have and none of my 1.5'' labs have them. I think 2 of the 18 Demasoni that I have, have one and in pictues I've only seen them with 2 at most. I was just curious. I'm looking into getting Acei and Fuelleborni next. I know they both have egg spots from pictures I've seen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts