Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious to know whether egg spots are liked or disliked among cichlid keepers. Are they something that people look for and want?? Or dont want?? Or does it not really matter??

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I guess I don't undersatnd the purpose of your questions. Egg spots are part of the natural coloration of the fish. Some species have them, some don't. In some species only the male has them or has more. Besides they are an important part of the spawning process for many mouthbrooding species.

I am sure some people consider their size, intensity or number to be important when selecting breeding stock, but Thats about it.

Why do you ask?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly Im asking cause I have 3 Male Hai Reefs (I know for sure they are males) and one doesnt have any egg spots and the other two have 1 each. I cant decide which to keep so I was wondering if people looked for them in breeding stock or in general. Basically I guess is a fish disliked cause of the lack of spots. But from what Im getting from you it doesnt much matter.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Personally I consider the eggspots alot like a lion's mane. Males that have more spots (I love that some species have them in the trailing part of the dorsal as well), brighter bigger spots are more fit and likely more mature. So I do use eggspots (though it is of lesser importance than the rest of the coloration and vitality as described in their profiles) in the final selection of male. There have been studies which that females will show prefernce for males that "look more masculine" when selecting a spawning partner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm Thats very interesting. Thanks for the help. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.