Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just redecorating my tank and was removing a 50lb rock...

The bad news, I started losing my grip because of algae and tried to lower it back down fast and I DROPPED IT 1FT FROM THE TANK FLOOR INTO 8" OF WATER AND ONTO 1.75" OF SAND AND EGGCRATE!!!!!

I was scared as ****, immediately removed the rock after getting a better grip and looking for any cracks...

The good news, the only damage was a few super small (maybe 1/4th a centimeter (2.5mm?)) gouges in the front glass pane and NOTHING ON THE BOTTOM GLASS...NOT EVEN A SCRATCH!!!!!!!!!

The point: Eggcrate is a MUST if you have large rocks in your tank. A rock nearly ruined my 265g $3,000 Aquarium...and my fish were saved by eggcrate and sand....!

Anyone else with horror stories??? :lol: I'm just sooooo glad now that I placed eggcrate in my tank...

~Ed

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
After having fish tanks for 15 out of the last 25 years... Just last month I had my first tank "blow out"...

I've never in my life used styrofoam under my tanks... styrofoam between the tank and stand would have saved this one...

Lesson learned...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kingpoiuy said:
When i saw the price of eggcrate i opted out of it. Now you scared me and I might rethink.
I think it's worth it..it's a small price to pay for a saved tank.

·
Registered
663 Posts
THe price of eggcrate? I bought 2 4' x 8' pieces for like 12 bucks each! It's cheap!
Even if it was twice that price it's well worth it to protect your investment.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I like using eggcrate. The very incident you stated is a Big Reason I use it. Has proven to be a wise investment for me. Good thing you had it also--might have been much worse....whew... :eek: ...!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts