Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the reviews and description of the product, but I have a question that I can not seem to find an answer for...

How does live bacteria live in a bag of sand and water for how ever long the stuff sits on the shelf without dieing? The bacteria need a food source to survive, ammonia, is the water treated with ammonia?

Can any explain how it does not die and become a waste product in the sealed bag?

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
642 Posts
Jason, I recently used it to start a new 20 gallon. I put it in, mixed it about, drained the water off, refilled it (dechlorinated of course), put fish in and 12 hours later they were dying. I'm not positive that the sand was the culprit. Heck I don't have any idea at all really what happened, but I'm suspicious as the sand was the only 'new to me' element in the equation. Dry sand for me from now on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The bacteria doesn't survive. It's snake oil (or at least that component of it - I'm sure it makes a perfectly fine substrate).

·
Registered
30 Posts
The solution the substrate is packed in keeps most of the bacteria in a spored state, thereby requiring no food. The solution metabolically inhibits the rest by restricting key ingredients required to metabolize food.

Once you put the sand in your aquarium water, the solution becomes diluted, removing the restrictions and allowing them to begin their metabolic process. Growth is not instant, it is simply initialized.

Basically, most of the bacterial colony is sleeping, and the ones that are awake are on a strict diet - enough to stay alive but not multiply. Putting them in a new tank wakes them all up and they begin to grow and multiply, but they still need to make their way into the filter and biomedia in order to filter the water effectively.

So for those with brand new tanks and brand new water, the bacterial colony seed has been planted, but you still need to wait a few days (depending on tank size, gravel quantity, filtration rate etc.) before you can populate your tank with fish.

The bonus for those who are simply adding new gravel to an established tank is that you don't have to rinse it at all before putting it into the tank.

Cheers.
:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts