Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I cleared some space in a 55 and put my unsexed Ebjd which is 6+" and 2 female BGJD . This was about two days ago and now I have eggs laid in a clay pot. The eggs look good so far hopefully the out come is well too. The Ebjd has very good traits too. :D I will post some pics/video later in the night.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Flippercon said:
Well I cleared some space in a 55 and put my unsexed Ebjd which is 6+" and 2 female BGJD . This was about two days ago and now I have eggs laid in a clay pot. The eggs look good so far hopefully the out come is well too. The Ebjd has very good traits too. :D I will post some pics/video later in the night.
Lol Thought you were just typing random letters there for a second till I read the post and it clicked (ebjdxbgjd).

Congrats and be sure to get some pics of Mom and Pop up. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am just waiting for the sun to go down so I can get decent pics. I need to get a dslr.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snapped a few anyway.
Dad

Mom

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elijah said:
Wow awesome JD's Flippercon! Good luck on the fry!
Thanks I think I'm gonna need it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you pull the fry out, I would recommend a 20H gallon tank. I have better luck with fry in a 20G over a 10g tank. I find the extra water volume helps keep the water condition stable. Also I started using net breeders to hold the fry in my 20G. Much easier to feed them since they're confined also I can use a regular HOB filter instead of a sponge filter. If you think you have too many fry for one net breeder, you can use 2 or 3. Also to get rid of any extra food or waste in the breeder net, you can a turkey baster to siphon the waste out. Just be careful not to catch any fry, and if you do, just squirt them back into the breeder.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 55 for fry already cycled and set up. I have the other fry from the last pair in there . I will move those or do the breeder net thing to keep them seperated or use the divider I made. I Target feed bbs with a turkey baster. I also grind nls pellets and feed with the baster. Thanks for the info Jason. It's always appreciated. I also found a lfs that want to buy the blues. :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thats awesome about the LFS. I'm growing out a batch from some BGJD pairs now. My first batch of blues from a BGJDxEBJD pair were really really weak so I culled most of them and re-paired my blue with another BGJD. The fry from the BGJD pair does seem livelier so I'm hoping they turn out nice.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jason_nj said:
Thats awesome about the LFS. I'm growing out a batch from some BGJD pairs now. My first batch of blues from a BGJDxEBJD pair were really really weak so I culled most of them and re-paired my blue with another BGJD. The fry from the BGJD pair does seem livelier so I'm hoping they turn out nice.
Yeah me too. I'm hoping they are healthy. The BGJD has a really defined red cloloration on the fins ,I was hoping the Ebjd would put this one. If not I still have one more BGJD female.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well 2 days in and I have maybe 20 or so white eggs and the rest have the black dot and are brownish. They will get better this I hope.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Already have wigglers. Looks like a lot of the eggs turned white right before they became wigglers .

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flippercon said:
Already have wigglers. Looks like a lot of the eggs turned white right before they became wigglers .
Actually it was the pfs on the pot that she had spit on there from moving the wigglers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Cool, I feel like a grandfather. :dancing:

Post some pics when they go free swimming and let see if we can point out the blues.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will try. I only have my phone to take pics. Oh one question Jason. When should I remove the fry ? Can I remove them when they are free swimming or should I wait longer?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Its really up to you, I've removed fry both when they're free swimming and when they were wigglers and didn't have problems either way. You'll stress out the parents though, so watch out for from aggression from the male. He may want to spawn again if the fry are gone and the mother won't be ready.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok Ione more question. Will the parents pick off the blues due to them being smaller and miscolored?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Depends on the fish really. The spawn will get smaller and smaller as the weeks go by so I would pull them pretty early.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok will do I will see hoe they do for a week.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts