Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to put one of these guys in my 90 gallon. I don't have a whole lot of other fish in there so he/she would be the "star" of the tank and the main attraction. Do you have to buy them online or can you usually pick one up at your LFS???

How much will a "quality" EB run me?

Is it true what I've read.............that they are VERY fragile fish when they are young?

Any recommendations on a dream JD tank setup?

I will only be buying one. What should I be looking for in a young EB? Other than a normal healthy looking fish...............is there a certain shade or color pattern I should be looking for?

Any and all help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks, Jimbo

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Most Ebjd are as hardy as regular jds past 3". So if you find one over three inches in good health buy it. They are pretty scarce around here past 3". Most of the Ebjd sold in my area (VA) are about 1" to1.5" they cost about$20 a piece and cheaper for the pairs . If you get one do qt and treat for parasites. They tend to be prone to internal parasites. They also grow a lot slower then the regular jds . Good luck and let me know if you find any.

·
Registered
406 Posts
What Flippercon said is correct, once they reach about 3' then they become pretty hardy but until then they are pretty fragile. If you buy a juvi EBJD, there isn't any pattern that marks one healthier than the other, although I'm trying to breed EBJDs and my first spawn, I culled about 95% of the fish because they seemed really weak. They stayed yellowish and took a long time before they start turning blue. I only kept 6 fish out of 100 and they became blue very quickly and grew much faster.

So my suggestion is make sure they are completely blue with no tint of yellow and if you go to your LFS a lot, monitor the fish and buy the one that seems to be growing the fastest.

Good luck, let us know if you pick one up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, great advice............shoot for a juvi 3 inches or larger if I can find one and stay away from any that look yellowish. That's a good start.

Where do most the folks on this forum buy their EBJD's? Is there one prefered online breeder or do most people find them locally? It sounds like shipping one of these young guys would not be ideal but you do what you gotta do to get a good one, right?

I might be able to take a look at some fish stores this weekend, so I will keep you posted on what is available locally (in the St. Louis area).

Many Thanks for the quick replies!!!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi JimboCraig,

I have found the best way to get a quality EBJD is to buy one directly from a local breeder. This is your best chance to get one of a decent size and quality.

One local breeder (garage set up) I found would sell juvies to LFS and grow out some on his own that he felt were best.

Here is another breeder who keeps a group of larger EBJDs for sale, some of the best EBJDs i have seen,

These are obviously California breeders, but search your local forums and craigslist ads and see if you can find people with similar breeding set ups near you.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mlancaster said:
Hi JimboCraig,

I have found the best way to get a quality EBJD is to buy one directly from a local breeder. This is your best chance to get one of a decent size and quality.

These are obviously California breeders, but search your local forums and craigslist ads and see if you can find people with similar breeding set ups near you.

Thanks,
Matt
Many Thanks Matt!!! I'm going to try to make the time to do some serious "hunting" sometime this weekend..............I'll drag the wife along which will most likely drive her crazy, but she'll put on a fake smile and at least try to pretend to be interested :lol:

I'm hopefull to find some decent ones locally, but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks again, Jimbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts