Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very nice/healthy EBJD and am interested in trying to breed a fry of babies.

What are things I can look for when looking for a pair? How can I sex my EBJD (are they male if the top fin is long and pointy)?

What tank conditions/size are best? Tank mates?

if anyone else has had luck... what did you do to pair your EBJD?

·
Registered
184 Posts
First off your fry will be weak if you do EBJD+EBJD you have to have a blue gene Jack Dempsey and a EBJD to get fry and you have to have separate tanks for the fry because 50% will be EBJD and 50% will be blue gene, and the blue gene are just as aggressive as normals and EBJD are not nearly as aggressive. you will get the EBJD+EBJD to breed but I think the longest you can keep them alive is like a week or two. So good luck. :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
242 Posts
No, you would want to spawn two Blue Gene Dempsey and a percentage of your fry will be Electric Blues. So you will first need to breed an EBJD with a regular Jack Dempsey to get all of the fry carrying the Blue gene. You then have to wait until all of the blue gene fry are old enough to breed, then breed the two blue genes together.

·
Registered
85 Posts
wlyons9856 said:
No, you would want to spawn two Blue Gene Dempsey and a percentage of your fry will be Electric Blues. So you will first need to breed an EBJD with a regular Jack Dempsey to get all of the fry carrying the Blue gene. You then have to wait until all of the blue gene fry are old enough to breed, then breed the two blue genes together.
Or breed an EB to a BG and get 50/50 EB/BG.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi CentralCichlid75,

If you breed your EBJD with a BGJD you will get 50% EBJD fry. However, it is impossible to determine if a JD is het for the blue coloration (BGJD). Therefore to get a BGJD you will have to breed them yourself or find an EBJD breeder you trust to sell you a BGJD.

To breed them you breed your EBJD with a regular JD and all the fry will be BGJD.

Sexing EBJDs can be very difficult; the best way to sex them is to observe their interactions with a JD of a known sex. You can also vent them, but for me I can not accurately vent them without a JD of a known sex to compare.

If you do try to pair your EBJD, make sure his/her mate is smaller as they tend to get beat up during spawning.

Thanks,
Matt

Edit: My appolgies, looks like I repeated what previous posters mentioned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the responses.. I'll let you know if I do in up trying to breed my EBJD. What size tank do you recommend? and any tank mates? I know that EB are fragile and I would probably have to get a hand full of baby JD and hope that one is a female and that it would pair.

·
Registered
85 Posts
At the minimum a 55 for a pair, but I would go 75 or larger if you can.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am right now breeding BGJD but i live in UT and my JD and EBJD need to grow a little more to breed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ClearMud
want to **** me a blue gene? haha

I have a 75 gallon right now with my EBJD, a green terror, firemouth and convict.

In time, I want to get a 55 just for my electric blue and a mate.

·
Registered
406 Posts
A 40 breeder tank would be ok for a JD pair, I wouldn't put anything else in the tank though. A 55 gallon is great too for a pair and I think some dithers would be fine.

Also on a side note, I'm trying to clear up tank space and I have about 20 BGJDs that I want to get rid of. They are fully mature, between 4-7 inches each. PM if anyone wants one. I know the forum isn't the place to post this, so I'll post more details in the trading post board.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you look at my "my JD got a girlfriend" page it will tell you my problems and you got a seller right next to you compared to me across the U.S. and mine when they decide to pair would be like 1.5 in. not 4-7 and my male isn't even 4 in. he is 3.5 in. oh, and i know your joking and i was just bord my fish are being selfish and not pairing. :lol: :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts