Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 3 ebjd at maybe 2-2.5 inches long. last week i noticed one was hiding in the same spot nearly all day, not eating and had stringy poop so i started treating with jungle anti parasite medication. the medication says to treat every other day for up to 3 treatments....i did my 3rd treatment 2 days ago. the ebjd is not improving, he seems to be having a harder time swimming and seems much darker in coloration compared to the other 2, and he has not eaten in a week(that i have seen). my question is when can i treat again? or what else should i treat it with? i would like to save him but it seems like he is going downhill very quickly.....thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you have a hospital tank I would put him in it. Raise The temp to around 84f gradually. Do a 50% wc on the tank that has already been treated. Do not feed during treatment. Start the jpc again and watch carefully. Make sure you have good surface agitation or a air stone. Keep the lights off and give good cover.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have no hospital tank currently...:(. i will keep treating and stop feeding, thanks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Do your 50%wc before the next treatment. Don't want to overdose on the meds. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, just got back from the store with more meds.....will do a 50% wc now....i just noticed that he is actually swimming around quite a bit now but seems very disoriented and having difficulty.....his stomach is also very swollen.....is this something besides parasites?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
He might have bloat. I stress do not feed at all untill all is back to normal. Follow directions on box and watch closely.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i figured it may be but i thought bloat was from too much protein? he hasnt eaten anything in at least a week

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
In any case the belly is swollen and could be a number of things. You don't want to cram more stuff in him before getting out the kink. I have gone almost 2 weeks without feeding juvies and all was well. Look in the library for bloat and other illness to try to identify the problem. There is a bunch of good info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright, thank you....just did a WC....ill keep posted, i should medicate for parasites still or no?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Jpc is used for bloat treatment as well. I have heard good things about clout too. Not exactly what is wrong with the fish but if the previous treatment helped I would continue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he died this evening....thanks for the info guys....he seemed to deteriorate pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Sorry for the loss. Keep an eye on the other fish in your tank.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't want to say it but with EBJDs once they start showing the symptoms that your fish had, they usually don't make it.

Good luck with your other fishes, and read the article I linked, it might help you with your other fishes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts