Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the late 70's I had a JD that I thought was the prettiest I have ever seen. Maybe because I had a small creek in the back of my house and I would feed him 1 small crawfish everyweek and ocassionally live worms.

Now to the present back about 10 years ago I bought 2 severums and had them in my 58 gallon tank and one died about 4 years ago so I decided to put some labidchromis yellows in the tank with the lone sevurm. Now 4 years later I still have the original sevurm and 3 yellow labs. I'm thinking about buying something else and now I have seen the pics on the EBJD and saw 1 locally at petsmat this AM; they maybe 1" long and I question the quality since they are from there. I was tempting to get one and try but am afraid it would be stalked by the others. I know the yellow lab is lake malawi but the old sevurm does not bother them nor to they do him at all. Anyway I assume this may be a bad idea to get the EBJD anyway thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
228 Posts
lose the yellow labs or the EBJD will probly end up dead the severum should be fine tho

i hear EBJD is not as nasty as a normal JD but im still more on the it depends on the fish saying

·
Registered
291 Posts
yeah I would lose the yellow lab and get the EBJD. If you get it from petsmart I would quarantine it first and make sure he eats properly. Mine have had a few intestinal hiccups but the water quality and treatment with metronidazole powder mixed with sinking pellets and seachems garlic guard helped out. Now all four of mine seem big and strong enough to make it on their own but I am always watching them carefully. Definitely worth it though if you thought your old JD was nice to look at :thumb:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking about getting 2 or 3 and placing them in a 25 g and growing them for a while perhaps 4 or 5 months that will give me some time to do something with the yellow labs. I have a couple 10g tanks I would rather used quarntaine but they are not cycled. Thanks for the advice one what to use in the quarntining process. I'm kind of worried since they are small because my sevurm is huge however he has not bothered one of the labs that was tank raised in there. However I put some serpae (sorry for spelly) tetras in there as dithers and he destroyed them in a few minutes. My actual plans since the 58 is not that big is to keep only one of the JD's.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's tricky planning to grow out EBJDs I feel a lot of people say they growing slower, but I think this is a case by case basis. I have 4 growing out in a 55 gallon tank and they were all around the same size when I got them but now the biggest one is probably double the size of the smallest one. Obvious growth rate is no problem for some EBJDs. So I'm just saying the 25g may not work out well for a grow out tank. I would definitely get tanks in order first.

Also I think it's a lot harder to introduce a new fish to an established aquarium. I'm guessing if you added the EBJDs to the severums tank, he would most likely pick on them.

edit: I think EBJDs are a beautiful and very rewarding fish if you take the time to do it right, but if you don't then you just may end up wasting all the money you spent on them. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree on the trickyness. I may try a regular JD just because they are hardier and I can easily find them larger locally. I may even go with something totally different in the 25 perhaps rams or even the Apistogramma cacatuoides double red (don't know much about them). have to do more research.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I actually just got some double reds, beautiful looking fish, 25 gallon would be perfect for them! I'd put some sand in there and some driftwood and some plants, make it look sharp! If I were you I would go that direction. You really need to do the EBJDs right in order for it to work out for you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for now we are leaning that way. I know I'll probably have to order the double reds I'm doing some search on them I really don't know much about them. How many would you say 3 or 4?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.