Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a juvenile electric blue dempsey, and have had him alone in a 10 gallon tank for a few months, and now he has grown to about 2.5 inches. I purchased a 46 gallon tank and have had it up and running for about a month now. I've done weekly water changes on the new tank, and even though I use the same water source for both, I can't seem to get the GH over 2. The 10 gallon tank's GH is consistently 9. My question is (a) given that these fish are notoriously fragile at this size, is it better to leave him in the smaller tank untill he reaches a larger size, and (b) How can I raise the GH of the new tank?

·
Registered
532 Posts
breeze2020 said:
I picked up a juvenile electric blue dempsey, and have had him alone in a 10 gallon tank for a few months, and now he has grown to about 2.5 inches. I purchased a 46 gallon tank and have had it up and running for about a month now. I've done weekly water changes on the new tank, and even though I use the same water source for both, I can't seem to get the GH over 2. The 10 gallon tank's GH is consistently 9. My question is (a) given that these fish are notoriously fragile at this size, is it better to leave him in the smaller tank untill he reaches a larger size, and (b) How can I raise the GH of the new tank?
Do you have any decorations/ornaments like caves from the 10 gallon that you can place in the 46? My water is very hard yet my cichlids tolerate it well. If you have the same type of filter on both, you can take the one from the 10 gallon and place it in the new one, to speed up the cycle process and by adding an ornament it should bring your hardness to a tolerable level.

Just my dos centavos.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
GH really doesnt matter with tank raised CA/SA cichlids. I wouldnt worry about it as they will adjust fine.

....Bill

·
Registered
406 Posts
Usually once the EBJD reaches 3 inches they become hardier so you don't have too much longer to wait if he's about 2.5 inches now. Its curious that the GH is so different between the 2 tanks although its the same water source. Do you have any natural rock or stones in the 10 gl?

If you can't find out whats making the GH differences between tanks and you don't want to wait for the fish to get larger, you can try to drip acclimate him. Here's a good article on how to drip acclimate your fish from LiveAquaria.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/gene ... pagesid=19

Good luck with your EBJD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No rock or stones in the 10gl, just some driftwood and an anubias plant. I did use eco-complete as the substrate though, opposed to river rock in the 46gl. That's probably the difference maker. Think I'm going to leave him in the 10 for a few more weeks, and try to get it a little more balanced. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts