Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little over a week ago I was at my lfs were I buy most of my fish. There was a breeding pair of blue dolphins there. I asked owner about them and he said he would sell me the male. The female was holding fry so I asked a few questions and he assured me that it would not negatively effect the male if they were split. So I bought the male and took him home. The first few days I didn't see him eat, didn't worry to much, figured he was adjusting to new tank " the pair were in a 30 gal at the store". Around the fourth day I seen him eat 2 1mm NLS pellets. Since that day I have seen him pick up some sand 2 or 3 times, I'm assuming that he is probably eating when he does that? Am I correct. I also have noticed he likes to chase a dark blue juvie peacock "not sure what it is yet" a lot.
Parameters are 0,0,20.
Stock is 3" eureka peacock
3" sunshine peacock
3" strawberry peacock
3" eye biter
2" acei
2" yellow lab
3" red empress
3" ob peacock
3" blue unknown peacock
5" blue dolphin
Currently looking for a 150 gal to upgrade to.

3 days after I got him I started a round of prazipro. Followed directions on bottle. Could the meds be effecting him?
After a week I talked to owner of pet store. He said I might have to take female if the male doesn't start eating. Wish he would have told me that from the start. Has anyone heard of having to keep mating pairs together like this? And if I have to take female how would that work in my tank? Im not to knowledgeable on breading. Won't that make him super aggressive to everyone once she is in the tank?

Could he be mistaking the blue peacock for a dolphin female and since he's been mating recently would that effect his appetite.

Other than not eating he is acting normal. Beautiful color and active. Maybe I'm just worrying to much .

I did just get everything I need for a qt tank. Should I set it all up and put him or the blue peacock in there and see if anything changes?
Looking for any and all opinions.

LFS owner also told me I should have almost double the fish iny tank. I was planning on adding 3 or 4 more but 10 seems like alot.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
No, he has not stopped eating because he misses the female. Don't worry until he has not eaten for a month or he starts to lose weight (concave belly).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for you help. Love this forum

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
That's some really weird advice you got from the store... You did see the fish feed, so that's good. What was the store feeding?

Sounds like a fair amount of fish in the 75. You can add more when you upgrade.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He feeds a mix of omega one cichlid flake and pellets. He has a ton of cichlids so I assumed I could trust him, now I'm not so sure. Not alot of options in my area. Guess I'll be looking into ordering online when I'm ready. He told me my dolphin which is my tank boss would probably start killing my other fish unless I started adding more fish. Shrug

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Normally he should eat unless sick, he shouldn't be that stressed out from the move after a day. Breeding has nothing to do with it, a male could and would want to breed every day if he could. Captive fish do not have a breeding season or pon farr like Vulcans.

The number one issue with not eating is the common "bloat disease", so just watch out for symptoms of losing interest in food and spitting food out, stringy white feces, "coughing", lethargic behavior, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.