Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the general consensus for how often ordinary backyard earthworms can be fed to a large c/a cichlid? I have an 11-inch T. Sieboldi who loves her pellets, but eschews other foods such as krill, frozen bloodworms, etc. I've tried varying her diet using peas, tubifex worms, lettuce, staple sticks, but she spits out everything except the earthworms. I know they're pure protein, but I don't want her getting bloated or constipated. Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I've always advised against it--you never know what possible chemicals/parasites are in the dirt that the earth worm has in it. The thing with the pellets is that if they are made for the particular species you're keeping then she really doesn't need anything else. Fish don't care about variety and the problem with keeping numerous foods on hand to provide them variety is that it's difficult to keep the foods fresh.
But perhaps someone who has been feeding earthworms for years with great success will comment.

Robin

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Parasites in soil are not of concern to fish. IF you are getting the worms from a pesticide free yard, go for it. The best way is to grow your own in a vermicomposting setup. It grows worms and gets rid of vegetable scraps. We had a guy speak at our club who kept large fish, and used nightcrawlers to feed his large Peacock bass, until he decided it was too expensive and switched to dog food. It grew to about 3'. He also had a 2' giant gourami.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies! Robin, I think I'll go with your advice as the last time I gave the worms as a treat she ended up constipated. It has since cleared up, but I believe I'll stick with the pellets. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts