Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, great resource here I'd like to say thanks to everyone who is a part of making this a great place to gather and share info! Currently laid up and bored out of my mind, I've recently begun planning for a from scratch 75 gallon Mbuna build. Going to take awhile as current budget allows, and I'm planning on building my own stand (hopefully soon) while i scour craigslist and the like for deals. It sounds simple, but does anyone have any tips to avoid getting a raw deal, aside from the obvious have the seller fill the tank and check for leaks? Previously I kept yellow labs and maingano in a 55, though most of my prior equipment was purchased new (and since sold during multiple relocations) so I'd like to secure a better deal this go around. Lastly, for the moment I'm considering my stocking options i would like to run my initial selections by the experts. Going to go for 4 species with only 1 male each so far looking at as follows...

White top afra
Msobo deep magunga
Yellow tail acei
and White Labs

Looking for any input, tips, hints and suggestions, thank you all in advance for your time and patience!!!

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!!

It's a good plan...when I kept acei and Cynotilapia sp. hara (a.k.a. white top afra) together I did feel the mid blue colors of each gave me too much of this in the tank...purely appearance issue).

The key thing for used tank is to inspect for scratches on the inside caused by substrate scraping against the glass from cleaning. Nearly impossible to avoid, but you want to skip any tank that has heavy scratching. Not worth the effort to remove and show up clearly every week as algae likes to highlight the scratches by growing there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!!

It's a good plan...when I kept acei and Cynotilapia sp. hara (a.k.a. white top afra) together I did feel the mid blue colors of each gave me too much of this in the tank...purely appearance issue).

The key thing for used tank is to inspect for scratches on the inside caused by substrate scraping against the glass from cleaning. Nearly impossible to avoid, but you want to skip any tank that has heavy scratching. Not worth the effort to remove and show up clearly every week as algae likes to highlight the scratches by growing there.
thank you for your reply, may i ask your (or anyone elses) opinion on a replacement for the acei as id rather have the Hara?

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Well you have blue and orange/yellow and white so not a whole lot of different looking fish. I'd probably go with 1m:7f Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos Maingano to add the bright blue horizontal stripe coloration/pattern. Females are just as attractive as males.

Another option would be a Labeotropheus species.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you DJ i tried to research and choose wisely, i know it may not shake out as planned but i was hoping for the Cynotilapia sp. hara to be our (my wife and I) tank center piece. imo they are such an awesome looking fish and from what *** read and have seen the females are also fairly attractive as well as far as mbuna go. She also likes the jalo reef, though i assumed they would not coexist with the hara? im pretty much open to any and all suggestion/recommendation. Maingano can be more aggressive than the other species i had selected (correct me if i am wrong)?

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
No need to match aggression on the various species as long as you house them properly. You want only one blue barred fish so that would be the hara in this tank. I have tried mixing blue barred fish (including the hara) and the hara did not show their best color.

Also the Jalo Reef is beautiful, but females are drab.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts