Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am trying to set up a all "MALE" peacock/hap tank. A while ago I bought a red peacock around 3". Today after work I notice he is not eating and looks like he has a mouth full :eek: . Not wanting to deal or think about it walk away. Wife gets home and asks what sex is the red fish? She says she saw it and the S. Fryeri acting funny :x . I will be taking the fish back for a visit to the lfs I got it from and see if they can figure out why I am upset about my $50.00 red peacock holding a clutch of eggs :x

No question, just wanted to vent and say watchout for dyed fish....so embarrassed :oops:

·
Registered
124 Posts
It might be a matter of hormone administration rather than then the dying of the fish. I've never done anything like this, but I remember reading somewhere that if you administer testosterone to a female Malawi cichlid, it will color up like a male of the species. The reason one might do this is to identify the fish (since many hap or peacock females are virtually indistinguishable from hap/peacock females of different species).

Like I said, I'm not justifying or recommending the practice.

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
Hormoning fish for any reason shouldn't be tolerated. Any responsible breeder or LFS who uses the rationale that they use hormones to identify the species, needs to find a better supplier that knows what fish they're selling or pay closer attention when they're buying. Hormones can cause long-term health problems and quite often shortens the life of the fish.

I would strip the fish before you return it so the LFS doesn't try to sell the fry.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Many suppliers feed the young fish hormoned food (or put it in the water). It often makes the fish appear more vigorous and healthy when they show up at the pet store. Plus people who don't know any better are more likely to buy a colorful fish than a plain silver or tan juvenile. I have been to many pets store that truely had no idea that the fish they were selling had been trated with hormones before they arrived (some were horrified, a few wanted to know how they could get hormoned food to beef up the colors of their stock--I stopped visiting those).

I have been decieved several times wth adult peacocks being hormoned. I almost lost entire "all male" peacock hap tank because of a hormoned females making the males all rowdy. She finally ended up holding and I was able to remove her before I was left with only one real male.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep I was thinking of stripping her also. I will let the lfs (and not buy there anymore) know how displeased I am but if I return the fish they would probably resell it, creating a problem for someone else. Problem is the yellow one I bought at the same time is suspect also :? . I dont have enough tanks to keep them, probably need to cull both :x We will see what happens when I VOICE my displeasure!!!!!!!

Thanks for your replies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.