Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for some expert input on set up of a new 65 gallon (246 liter) tank (4 feet long), which will contain Dwarf Mbuna. According to my research (shout out to Marc Boulton), I should stock 15-25 Dwarf Mbuna to minimize aggression. Based on Marc's recommendation, my intent is to initially stock 18 unsexed fish, each of which would be a juvenile (1 inch to 1.5 inch). All fish introduced at same time. Planning on six (6) Pseudo Saulosi, six (6) Iodotropheus sprengerae ("Rusty"), and six (6) Labidochromis chisumulae. I specifically selected these three species because of the size and color characteristics. As the fish mature, will likely have to relocate subdominant males to another tank to achieve a 1 male to 4-5 female for each species.

Any thoughts/concerns about the ability of these three species to coexist in 4 foot tank? The tank will have a hardscape that provides multiple caves/shelters.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I'd choose something other than chisumulae.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt response. After reading this board for the last hour you appear to be the equivalent of Cesar Millan (the "Dog Whisperer"). Would appreciate hearing any suggestions you have re: a Dwarf Mbuna species that will work well in 4 ft tank with Saulosi and Iodotropheus sprengerae. Based on your experience, u see any flaws/problems with my vision?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
:wink: Ha...I don't have luck taming the savage ones...I just avoid them. I would probably do white labs with the other 2 species if you want three species. Or do 3m:9m of the saulosi with just the rusties if you like the bright blue of the saulosi males best.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
If you're looking to end up with 4-5 females consider starting with 8-10 of each species to increase your chances of those numbers.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
If you do a fishless cycle you will be in the clear, as your beneficial bacteria will be able to handle it. Keep watch on nitrate. Plan your water changes around that. You'll be looking to keep that as low as possible. If after 5 days you're at 40 ppm, it's time for a water change. Typically, weekly water changes are the norm, but knowing what your nitrate is should be your guide. Really no different if you had 15 fish, or 30. In the end, fresh water is a good thing, even if your nitrate is at 10 ppm.

When buying unsexed fish, it's a numbers game. No guarantee on any sex. You could buy 6 Saulosi and end up with 1 female. Or none. Starting with higher numbers gives you a better chance at reaching a workable group. The last time I bought Saulosi, I got 20. Ended up with 13 males. So you may start with 24-30 fish, but will be removing some along the way- bullies, bullied, extra males, loses, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts