Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Dumb uv sterilizer question

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fishyfishyfishy 
#1 ·
If I placed a sterilizer into my sump would it be as effective?

Thinking on using a Rena xp2 to pump a Coralife turbo twist 12x36 watt. The tank is 300 gal and the sump is 75gal. I think the sump is borderline small and will be setting up a bigger one shortly.

Thanks for any replies...

#2 ·
The UV should work fine in the sump...

I think pulling water out of the sump , running it through a canister (I would using polishing media), through the UV and then back to the sump... would be an excellent set up...

Just for reference... after using UV lights for several years on multiple tanks these are the flow rates I use mine at to address everything from free floating algae to parasites :

10 gph per 1W of UV power...
1W of UV power per 10 US gal of tank volume...

#5 ·
Will you be able to get your canister LOWER than you sump? If not - if they are at equal levels, the canister will probably not work. The only canister I've had that worked with zero head was my Unimax 500 (Aquael). C360, 2217, XP3 - I tried these three with zero head and they lose their siphon immediately. You either have to raise the sump or cut a hole in the floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.