Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tank has a mix of Malawi mbuna & haps with one Victoria hap species. the tank has anubias and java fern and both are unscathed and do not even get dug up. Would any of the listed floater plants stand a chance in the tank with these fish? i am thinking of faster nitrate uptake with potential starving of small amounts of algae that periodically show up.

any let land plant roots hang in the water column? any success with keeping them for tank health and their health as well?

thank you.

·
Registered
767 Posts
We too have various types of anubias in our tanks and have very good results with them. About 4 months ago I put three types, about three pounds worth, of duck weed in several of our tanks. Two types were for nitrates and the third was for phosphates. Long story short there is none left. Took about four days for most of it to disappear. The tank that took the longest was a 20 gal. fry tank which took about 2 months.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BlueSunshine said:
We too have various types of anubias in our tanks and have very good results with them. About 4 months ago I put three types, about three pounds worth, of duck weed in several of our tanks. Two types were for nitrates and the third was for phosphates. Long story short there is none left. Took about four days for most of it to disappear. The tank that took the longest was a 20 gal. fry tank which took about 2 months.
I had some extras and i dropped them in my malawi tank. i think it took 2 days for them to disappear without a trace!! :D :D

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Sometimes plants like this last for a while, but always seems like at some point they get hungry and discover the plants are an easy source of food... and most of the greenery disappears one day.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I never had a problem with floating plants like pennywort or water sprite, or with moss. Or with bamboo growing out of the water. It's things that are planted in the ground that are the problem, except a few exceptions like some red plants I had. Ludwiga? Something like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts