Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased some duboisi (pemba) and i was reading up on the way they like to have the tank setup
PH temp and all that good stuff....
They like a PH of 8.6 but my PH straight from the tap is 8.0

My question is how can i raise my PH? I know API makes PH UP but i was reading that, that is a temporary fix.

Would a bag of crushed coral in my filter be a good idea? Or is there any other way i can raise it? without having to do that process every time i do a water change.

Or am i worrying too much?

thanks guys

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
shellies215 said:
They will do fine in 8.0
+1

I would check the tap water's kH. If it's low you can add baking soda every time you do a water change to raise it. It'll help keep your pH stable, which is more important than getting it up to 8.6.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I hope you aren't putting these in the 100 gallon tank you have full of mbuna and haps. If you want tropheus, set up one of your other tanks for them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
baking soda? how much? a table spoon per every 5 gallons?
Shellies215
negative sir, they are in a 55 by themselfs but i read up last night that they do better in big groups... more duboisi shopping :D.. although the shop i got them from hasent sold 1 since they got them so I am in no rush.

thanks guys

·
Registered
5 Posts
are they Wild Caught? if tank raised then i wouldnt mess with the water as they are probably use to their PH level up at 7 to 8.0 especially coming from a LFS.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no not wild caught, they are tank raised... i saw them as fry but they would sell them to me... so they are bigger now and they sold them to me...

anyways can i feed them hikari?
or what should i be feeding them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts