Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went shopping yesterday for supplies to start my BG, got a qt of Drylok to start out with, but the only color they had was white, how do I color it? Will cement color work?
Thx

·
Registered
374 Posts
I used the powdered cement dye. The store I went to only had "buff" and "black", but I was able to mix the colors I needed from that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The powdered cement works but not nearly as good as the quikrete liquid color just be aware that one drop of the quikrete gives intense coloration so do it gradually

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Outstanding! That's what I got, yea!!! Thx everybody :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
The store where you buy it should be able to tint it for you. Lowes did it for free. They tinted it to a concrete grey color for me. I later did add concrete tint to darken the color on second and third coats. Good Luck!

·
Registered
456 Posts
mixing your own allows you to create several shades, I mixed 6 different shades after my black base coat and even added a few white highlights to finish. Creating shades is easier starting with a white base.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he he, thats what i did, ice cream buckets are great for mixing a variety of colors :)

How many coats should i use?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
As many as you want/need.
For a base- you want to make sure you have two coats but after that, it's entirely up to you.

My background has numerous coats/layers so I could capture that naturalistic look.
(Oh, and it you're going down that route, make sure each layer is a slightly lighter shade than the previous coat. :wink: )

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dang! LOL, thats alot of painting! And I emphasize the "pain" in painting, I've got tons of nooks and crannies <sigh>
As for the lighter shades, adds depth?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have painted the inside of leaky bird baths, worked great the first year maybe even 2. After that it flaked all off. I cannot vouch on prep. my husband did it. This makes me leary of using it in aquarium. I have become quite attached to my fish.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
hbbyhorse said:
Dang! LOL, thats alot of painting! And I emphasize the "pain" in painting, I've got tons of nooks and crannies <sigh>
:lol: Hey, all great masterpieces take time. :D

hbbyhorse said:
As for the lighter shades, adds depth?
Darker shades add depth- lighter shades give it highlights. :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.