Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 very sickly looking punks with the expectation of fattening them up. For the past week they have been great! eating at meal time and even appear to have gained a minute amount of weight.
Anyways, last night I bend down to grab their food next to the aquarium and one of the punks darted away, uncoordinated, behind some rocks. Strange, because they haven't done this even when I introduced them. Cleaning I could almost touch them.. The other acts normal.. Anyways, after feeding he came back out and I noticed he was swimming as if he was drunk? and very scared of me, not so much the other fish. Finally, he darted away sometime in the night and I haven't seen him since. I suspect he is dead. The other is where they normally hang by itself.
Anyone have any insight?
Water parameters are normal.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
My guess would be Spironucleus sometimes caurses skinny disease in cichlids or fish TB can caurse cichlids to get thinner and then die.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/spironucleus.php
Lets hope its not Cyrptobia iubilans or a whole supplier and his supply chain could go bust.
50-90% mortality with all cichlids exposed to that one I hear and no known effective treatment other than culling all the stock.

All the best James

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have found him and somewhat quarantined him..
Do I need to remove him from the community? He appears worse than last night.
What should I do with the other one? he appears fine.
I inspected the sick one topically and cannot find any lesions or parasitic-like infections. He appears normal other than thin.
chances I suspect are grim?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I take it you do not normally quarentine new stock?
Arg if so then its kind of too late to stop your other fish from being exposed to whatever this guy has.
My answer would be if mail order etc quarentine these two in a separate tank with a divider to stop the ill one being bullied ASAP and contact your suplier to see if they are having similar difficulties or may even have checked it out with a vet (by poste mortum) got a diagnosis and a treatment sorted.

Good luck. I hope I am wrong on this one and its just one of those fish that do not do well without being major infectious.

That or if a LFS take them back and get your money back while there is still time.

All the best James

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did quarantine, for like 4 days, and they seemed fine. Just skinny.
What is normal quarantine procedure? :-?
I hope it is just something endemic to the fish itself and not as serious as you say! :(

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Full quarantine is six to ten weeks depending on species. Lots of LFS and importers only do 2 weeks then mixed in with all sorts of other stuff on centralised filter systems. Hence the extra need to do it at our end. Assume all new fish have just been exposed to pretty much all common aquarium diseases unless your dealer does a full quarantine time in full quarantine conditions.
My own dealer only does 2 weeks. I like get him to hold anything I want for an extra 4-8 weeks on my deposit. Then I give em a further quarantine. Call me paranoid but I have lost 100s of cichlids (including full tank wipe outs) when I did not follow this.

All the best James

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see your point. They are quarantined for a few weeks at my LFS. However, I really wanted to add punks to my collection, and was impulsive.. I took them before their full quarantine and did a short stent on my own.. Didn't really pan out.. :(

Thank you James. I shall be more thoughtful in the future. An BTW, he did pass... :( :(

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. :(

But, I'm not convinced you were looking at disease rather than an injury. It's hard for me to go from a the observation of a skinny fish who then develops skittish, uncoordinated behavior- to assuming HITH disease. The fish more likely was suffering from parasites, but I suspect the other symptoms may have been from physical trauma.

I quarantine for at least three weeks when I bring new fish home. If the fish are skinny, I automatically treat with metronidazole.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
triscuit said:
I'm sorry for your loss. :(

But, I'm not convinced you were looking at disease rather than an injury. It's hard for me to go from a the observation of a skinny fish who then develops skittish, uncoordinated behavior- to assuming HITH disease. The fish more likely was suffering from parasites, but I suspect the other symptoms may have been from physical trauma.

I quarantine for at least three weeks when I bring new fish home. If the fish are skinny, I automatically treat with metronidazole.
That sounds like a very sensible approach. Many cichlids I read carry these microbes but do not die of them or even appear ill. Just when stressed or traumatised they can overcome the cichlids immune systems.
Main prob in the UK is by the time you get a prescription for Metronidazole from a vet the fish are sometimes too far gone to help.
If it was parasites though, surely something like Clout would work for you guys that can get it better and in more cases than just a nitroimidazole antibiotic like Metronidazole?
Used particularly for anaerobic bacteria and protozoa.
For sure one fish dieing could be from a simple injury or then again from pretty much any internal problem. Prob is sick fish get sicker (supressed immune systems) and can become microbe factories to help infect others.

All the best James

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gotcha.. same as in humans: stress vs. auto immune.
So, would it be within my interest to treat the tank with the antibiotic(assuming its an antibiotic) you suggest? As preventative measures...
And if so, I also have a syno.. should he be removed for any kind of remedy?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
We're lucky here in the US- we can order metro online for $5. Some folks like Clout, but I find it overly harsh and would not recommend it for preventative care.

But yeah- stress v. immune system- I think that covers most of the problems we see in our fish. Stress from transport, acclimation, aggression, water quality, etc affect disease resistance and resilience.

Should you treat the rest of the tank? I don't know. Perhaps wait a day or two and watch the rest of the fish very carefully for any changed behavior, color, or eat/poop patterns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts