Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Email arrived today.

Sad.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Petco has owned them for awhile now just like PetSmart owns Chewy.

Wonder what's going to happy to liveaquaria, they're under the Dr foster and smith umbrella, pretty much same company just a different name.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Petco has owned Drs F&S since 2015, with the initial transition being seamless from a customer perspective. What appears to be happening now is to handle the business out of their existing petco.com call centers/warehouses, instead of the dedicated Dr F&S site in northern Wisconsin. What this means from a price, inventory, and customer service perspective remains to be seen. Here's a snippet from a local news report:

The closure formally takes effect Feb. 12, 2019, with operations closing to the public and a transfer of all online services to Petco at that time. However no employees will lose their jobs prior to March 10, with many of the cuts coming within a two-week window after that date.

Full article at: https://www.wjfw.com/storydetails/2..._of_drs_foster_and_smith_rhinelander_facility

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the past I used product info provided on Drs Foster & Smith website that I can't imagine being provided on Petco website. Also the product line...are they carrying everything DFS carried? Sorry we are losing this resource.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, now we know. The Drs F&S website redirects to petco.com, which has the usual petco inventory. Liveaquaria.com seems to have at least much of the original inventory displayed on the site, but a number of items are shown as "out of stock" (not sure if that means they'll get more in eventually, or not). Listings have the same level of product detail. In principle there are customer reviews, but the old reviews were never ported over, it's a completely clean slate.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'm doing some price comparisons right now, and it seems that Petco pricing is much higher than Big Al's Pets. Pet Solutions has already bitten the dust. I suggest that people try to steer their purchases to Big Al's to keep them alive. We are going to lose the wide breadth of product offerings if these specialized online retailers go out of business. I recently had to visit 3 different stores (Petco/PetSmart) to pick up some medication, and the price was outrageous.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Doesn't Petco or Petsmart pricematch, if you find the same item at an online retailer? I thought one of them did, don't remember which.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is PetSmart and Petco don't even carry some of the more desirable items.

·
Registered
783 Posts
awanderingmoose said:
Well, now we know. The Drs F&S website redirects to petco.com, which has the usual petco inventory. Liveaquaria.com seems to have at least much of the original inventory displayed on the site, but a number of items are shown as "out of stock" (not sure if that means they'll get more in eventually, or not). Listings have the same level of product detail. In principle there are customer reviews, but the old reviews were never ported over, it's a completely clean slate.
Liveaquaria has a clearance sale going on right now ... I imagine there are some deals to be had.

I ordered some Azoo sponge filters ... $2.00 - $2.50 ... very reasonable ... :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts