Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 3 peacocks on me die already from dropsy... i am wondering how i can prevent it from getting to my juvies (red zebra, yellow lab, cobalt zebra, and 3 electric blues)
all 3 fish died one after another... i have a tank that i just started but i don't know if its safe for my juvies yet...
what should i do?
Turn the temp up on the tank and some kind of medication or something?
please help
thanks in advance
jasson

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
Pristine water. What is the measurement of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in your tank?

Whenever you have a death in a tank if possible wait a month before adding fish to be sure all is safe.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*** had 3 fish die because of my power head and 3 of dropsy, well 4...
last night i took all my juvies out and put them into a tank thats been running for about 1 week left my 3 biggest peacocks in my 55 and did a 75% water change... i think its good now all my peacocks look fine, let me check my levels

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
Why ammonia = 0.25? Do you have a false positive from your dechlorinator?

Are you sure it was dropsy? Could it have been bloat? With bloat, if one fish gets sick it can infect the tank with a death every month until all fish are gone.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i never saw that "acron" shape everyone says to look for and my livingstoni, i brought him out once and he flapped like a normal fish but when i put him back in the tank he just sank to the bottom like a rock... same thing with one of my aulonocara and johanni

I am asking the same question why do i still have .25ppm ammonia after such a big water change... i used tap water conditioner and added aquarium salt... Is their something i am doing wrong?
i have 1 live plant in the tank... if that matters temp is at 82

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
Pinecone shape?

Read the fine print on your dechlorinator bottle. If it will give you an ammonia reading even if there is no ammonia, it will say that.

Aquarium salt may or may not be necessary, what is your pH from the tap?

Temperature of 78 might be a little more comfortable for the fish.

I don't know of anything that causes a healthy fish to sink to the bottom because he was netted and taken out of the water for a couple seconds. :-?

Among the remaining fish, are they all eating every day? Any fin nips or other injuries? Anyone lurking under the surface or near filter intakes or heaters?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
u know they say to look at the fish from above to see if he has that pincone shape i guess..

will do... i will turn the temp down

There is 4 in my 55 and they all seem active, everyone eats seems like they are starting to get along.

will get back to you about the dechlorinater

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If your tap water is treated with chloramine, you'll get a false positive after a water change because the dechlorinator will seperate the chloramine into chlorine and ammonia.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
killakam said:
so that would mean its okay for ammonia to show or?
The dechlorinator will cause it to show up, but at the same time, it will detoxify it. The following day there shouldn't be any ammonia. Test some tap water for ammonia, both without using dechlorinator and with. Or ask your water company if they use chloramine.
What dechlor are you using?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am using Nutrafin Aqua plus tap water conditioner & API stress coat
Last night i tested my water and it was ammonia .50ppm and my nitrite's were at .50ppm and nitrate's were 40ppm, i did a ten gallon water change last night after testing my water...
tested my water right now ammonia .25ppm nitrite .25ppm nitrate 20ppm
I will call t

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
It sounds like maybe you are having a mini-cycle. You should not have ammonia above 0.25 or nitrites above zero in a cycled tank.

0.5 nitrites can damage fish definitely.

I am surprised that a 10G change on a 55G tank could make 40ppm nitrates go to 20ppm. I would think you would need to change 25G for that to happen.

How many tanks do you have? Are any of them well established? You could transfer some filter media or gravel into the mini-cycle tank to solve the problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have one 55 thats been establish for about 2 months now, and a 40 gallon that i started mabey a week and a half ago... (the results i gave were for my recently started 40) I did squeez the media from my 55 into a bucket and let my new media for the 40 soak it all in for about 30min... then i took some gravel from the 55 put it in a net and set it by the filter intake on the 40...

now all the juvies in the 40 seem fine and very active. There are 12 in the 40..
Also the 10 gallon water change was done on the 40

my 55 test results are Nitrite 0ppm, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrate 20ppm, PH 8.0, GH 150ppm, KH180ppm, temp 78... :) its a solid tank, i just want my 40 to fully cycle already

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
killakam said:
I have one 55 thats been establish for about 2 months now, and a 40 gallon that i started mabey a week and a half ago... (the results i gave were for my recently started 40) I did squeez the media from my 55 into a bucket and let my new media for the 40 soak it all in for about 30min... then i took some gravel from the 55 put it in a net and set it by the filter intake on the 40...

now all the juvies in the 40 seem fine and very active. There are 12 in the 40..
Also the 10 gallon water change was done on the 40

my 55 test results are Nitrite 0ppm, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrate 20ppm, PH 8.0, GH 150ppm, KH180ppm, temp 78... :) its a solid tank, i just want my 40 to fully cycle already
The 40g is still cycling by the sounds of it. Continue daily testing, water changes to keep both ammonia and nitrite well below 1ppm.
I recommend Seachem Prime as a dechlorinator while cycling as it will detoxify ammonia, chlorine, chloramine, nitrite and nitrate, whereas the Aqua plus works on chlorine/chloramine and Stresscoat works on ammonia in addition to chlorine/chloramine, nether work on nitrite.

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
Put some filter media and/or gravel from your 55 in your 40 and problem solved. Continue to test daily until ammonia and nitrite are zero.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a little net with rocks in the 40 (from the 55) and i let the media soak in the junk water that came out of my 55's media...

I think its fine, I will continue to test my water daily and I hope it all goes well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.