Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sump I bought a while back and I think it is time to replace the sponge in the drip tray (I've cleaned it periodically but it doesn't seem to pick up as much dirt as it used to).

A few questions
1. How often should this sponge be cleaned?
2. How often should it be replaced?
for those two questions if you need specifics on size of tank and stocking see my tank icon below

3. I figured I'd get this http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealinv/se ... scId=18430
since it looks pretty similar. Is this what I ought to get or is there something else, or a combination of things, you would recommend? The goal is to maximize the mechanical filtration.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
1. How often should this sponge be cleaned?
As often as you think to do it really. If you cleaned it every day, you’d have less nitrate build up due to having extra crud in the system than you would if you let it go a whole month. I’d say every 2 weeks is a minimum though.
2. How often should it be replaced?
The coarse sponges can last a very long time. Don’t bother replacing it until it starts to fall apart or lose a lot of its mass.
3. Is this what I ought to get or is there something else, or a combination of things, you would recommend?
That looks like some good stuff and the price is not too bad. I’d recommended using that along with some of the blue bonded filter floss (which BTW should be replaced from time to time, although it is cheap). Have the water flow through the coarse sponge first then the blue floss. The white side of the floss is more coarse, so have the water hit that side first. If you wanted to go one step further, you could add some “Poly-filâ€

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Could you link me to a picture of filter floss and "poly-fil" so I know what they look like?

I've searched for items myself but learned that often if you don't know what you're looking for you'll find many things mislabeled on the internet and not realize it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts