Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I to would love to know this as I'm about to get back in the game finally after settling into our new house and winter quickly approaching I can finally dedicate some time to get my 17x22 fish room up and running in the basement. How do make this sucker as efficient and automated as possible has been an ongoing research project for me. I'm pretty sure we get 8+ph from the tap and with the plan of having 15 29g fry tanks, 12 40g breeders, and 4 75g for larger species, I need to figure this out which would be the best way to do it. I've thought about even going the route of buying those large vertical water storage containers and running the drip system through them but I think the filter cartridges combined with a irrigation timer would be the way to go still.

Better question is would yall suggest to drill the tanks since I have a central drain and risk cracking a few or go the siphon route?

·
Registered
269 Posts
From doing research today on the filters that are capable of removing chloramines, im finding they break up the chlorine/ammonia compound and leave free ammonia intact in the water supply which is toxic to fish. Also, the chloramine exhausts the filter cartridges much quicker than chlorine causing you to have to replace the cartridges at a much faster pace than normal. If this is true, then going the dosing pump route may be the better option or even combine them as a fail safe. Any thoughts?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts