Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Man... memories. This post seriously has me missing my well water system that an old house I used to live in ran on. Water was around 7.8 in PH, and not - exactly - 'rock hard'. But, Mbuna and Tanganyika themed things plus my CA breeder tanks LOVED that water, man! EVERYTHING I had then was set up then to overflow.
Unfortunately, I moved.
And, still had drilled-out overflow type tanks. What to do?
Well, honestly most of 'em got sold or just plugged up. But two of the larger tanks got set up and shared a 300 gallon (rain water collection) water reservoir. Yep. Gravity fed for the tanks, that plastic reservoir had an electric heater installed in it and everything. Would just fill that thing up with a python hose about every 5 -6 days or so after shutting off the add valve, then use Prime to de-chloramine my municipal sourced water and then fiddle with the add valve, ( fill adjustments depending on how aggressive I wanted to be with water changes that month).
But, hiding a 300 gallon reservoir to make it somewhat aesthetically/visibly pleasing for my living room was indeed a little challenging. :oops:
But, it worked!

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
NOT filled with rainwater!
I filled that plastic reservoir (originally made/intended to be as part of an outdoor sited, rain water collection system) every 5 - 6 days, with water supplied from the bathroom tap, by a Python hose. The boxy looking/rectangular reservoir had a large screw on-off cap top, that I just ran the end of the vinyl python hose down into. The tap water was de-chloramined during re-fills, with Prime. Plus, epsom salt and a little baking soda were added to harden up my city water.
-
That plastic reservoir was set on stacks of cinder blocks, and I had to hide it in my living room behind black fabric.... But, it worked great! 8)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts