Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a tank set up which is not drilled.....any chance of getting it drilled?? would this be able to be done with the tank still operating with the fish and say half full with water?

I have been reading up on the sump style filter and this is something i would like to give a go.

if can be drilled is it better to drill the top of the tank or drill a hole in the bottom of the tank with a pipe (called standpipe??) in the chamber chimney thing??

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Have you verified that your glass isn't tempered? If you have tempered glass then drilling a new hole is not an option.

If you're gonna try to drill it with fish in the tank then you have no choice but to drill the back of the tank. I don't think I'd go there, but that's just me. I believe other people have accomplished it, but I could just be smoking a big crack rock, so don't take my word for it ;).

Have you considered a HOB style overflow? Many people use them and seem to be happy with them.

-Rick (the armchair aquarist, anxiously awaiting the arrival of his glass drill bits)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Drilling a tank makes a mess. I wouldn't do it inside with or without fish. You'll need to keep water flowing over it while you drill, which of course splatters water and tiny glass shards everywhere. Definitely take the fish out and everything else including your substrate. And definitely make sure it isn't tempered glass. There are several how to videos on youtube that you might want to take a look at, just search for "drilling glass aquarium" and you should have a few to choose from. It isn't hard to do, but it requires two things above all else: 1. Planning. You want to make sure you have the right bit for the bulkhead you're going to use and you want to make sure you know exactly where you want it. 2. Patience. Don't put ANY pressure on the drill. Let the bit do the cutting at it's own pace. If you start to get a little impatient, or if your arm gets a little tired, stop and take a break. Don't try to speed things up with even a "little" bit of pressure or you will not be at all happy. Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would really think the glass particals would not be good for the fish. It is impossible to drill a tank and not get slivers of glass in the tank When the fish sift the substrate then they will pick it up. I would think it would destroy their digestive track. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
swamptrout said:
looks like i might be better off just to get another tank already drilled.

YAY 2 tanks for me!!!!!!!!!
I like that logic! Too bad it won't work for me, as I don't have an excuse not to drill mine (plus I don't think I could find a pre-drilled 29gallon)

-Rick (the armchair aquarist)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts