Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found some wood in my old vivarium, washed it and decided it would look good sunken in my tank.

it's so buoyant though, it floats and shows no sign of sinking?
so i weighed it down with some rocks. will it take long to fill with water and be able to sink by itself?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
As it depends on the wood, there is no way to say. I often drill holes in slabs of rock and screw it to the wood to sink it. Drilling holes in the wood and filling the holes with small rocks is another way to get weight without it showing. Cut a plug or use silicone to hold the rocks in the hole.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Like PfunMo said best bet would be too drill holes in either rock or I use ceramic tiles to weight it down. I have soaked local driftwood for weeks and it still wouldnt sink on its own. This is why I started using the tiles and they work great.

If it is a real big piece of driftwood you may need to double up the tiles to add enough weight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With little or no resources required you can:

Put it in hot water (as hot as possible) for a week or so, changing the water out keep it hot and to flush out the tannins

With resources available you can:

Get a container that can be pressurized, fill with water (pref. hot), leaving a little room for air pressure at the top, fully submerge the driftwood, and put it under at least 30 lbs of pressure for several hours. The more pressure the better.

These only help accelerate the process. Results will vary. As PfunMo said, it depends on the wood.

:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts