Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driftwood (spongy) question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dismantled a 20 gallon planted tank that had two large pieces of driftwood in it. The pieces have been in the tank for about 5 years. They are both attached to a piece of slate.

One piece (the larger of the two) is now soft and spongy (at least on the outside)
The other (much smaller piece), has a slight "coating", but is otherwise pretty hard.

I was planning on moving the pieces into a soon-to-be Peacock tank. I do not have any prior experience with driftwood (other then having these pieces in a planted tank for a while), but the spongy piece worries me a little since I assume that the sponginess means that it is decomposing faster than the hard piece.

Questions: Should I skip the spongy piece? Would a large piece of driftwood like this have any negative effects on my cichlid tank?

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that if the larger piece is decomposing, then it will be releasing more tannins into the water. Tannins will lower the PH level of the water. So, really the only worry I can see is whether or not you'll be able to keep your PH in the range you want. If the PH of your tap water is really high, then the driftwood won't hurt and might actually help in keeping your PH in range. But, if your PH is low, or right where you want it, then the driftwood might bring the PH down to low.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had this experience with a piece of driftwood a few years back. Get rid of it, mine started to smell and get fungus on it. the fungus happened almost overnight and was really hard to clean out of the tank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts