Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Two questions. Is this a Dragon Blood Peacock? Is it male or female? If you watch the video, pause it right at the end as he/she does a yawn, you'll see a blue tint at the top of the fin. I have never seen this until today on him/her? I'm going to double check and make sure it wasn't the lighting? I run white leds. Anyhow, I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.
http://www.customartwork4u.com/Images/Fish/BloodDragonPeacock.MOV

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured out the blue. It is the light combined with my blue stone filter in the back. It does not have blue in its fin.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, call me crazy. I swear I'm as sober as can be also, but upon more watching of this fish, it really does have the blue in it. So, do dragon bloods have that or hybrid? Thanks again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The download in the link you posted takes 5 minutes on this device so I didn't see it, but the alpha male in my aquarium is a dragon blood. He flashes a subtle cobalt blue undertone in his body when feeding. At other times, it shows in his fins. It's really cool.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5 minutes? Try it again later. It takes all of 5 seconds or less here? It is on my own server? Anyway, thanks for your response. Yours sounds exactly like this. I hope you can get the video to load.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Looking at your vid, I did see the blue in his dorsal when he spreads the fin out. That doesn't mean he isn't a dragonblood, just a llittle extra color. Since dragonbloods are a hybrid line, there will always be a certain amount of variability in any given individual. I think this one will grow up to be a very attractive specimen.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Kipnlilo said:
5 minutes? Try it again later. It takes all of 5 seconds or less here? It is on my own server? Anyway, thanks for your response. Yours sounds exactly like this. I hope you can get the video to load.
Yeah I'm on my phone. I'll try it from my tablet later.

·
Registered
9,126 Posts
Looks more like an albino Aulonocara mix, most like a male "Eureka Albino" with more reddish... than whatever a "Dragons Blood" is, and I'm not sure how you can define what a "Dragons Blood" is actually unless you can go back to the source.

I would guess male.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr Chromedome said:
Looking at your vid, I did see the blue in his dorsal when he spreads the fin out. That doesn't mean he isn't a dragonblood, just a llittle extra color. Since dragonbloods are a hybrid line, there will always be a certain amount of variability in any given individual. I think this one will grow up to be a very attractive specimen.
Yeah, I'll keep you updated as he grows. About 2 1/4 inches long right now. He is very pretty, I hope the color holds. I'm going to try and trade a beautiful blue kenyi and a really nice yellow arturas in on some female peacocks. They should all be different in color correct? Also, Is there an easy way to tell females when they are small? Also, he was sold to me as a dragon Blood Peacock? I don't really care if he is or not, because I like the looks of him. Lol!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
noki said:
Looks more like an albino Aulonocara mix, most like a male "Eureka Albino" with more reddish... than whatever a "Dragons Blood" is, and I'm not sure how you can define what a "Dragons Blood" is actually unless you can go back to the source.

I would guess male.
Do you mean one of these? Male or female? Sorry, just fed them so the water has a few fish food particles floating in the video.http://www.customartwork4u.com/Images/Fish/Albino.MOV

·
Registered
9,126 Posts
Kipnlilo said:
noki said:

I would guess male.
Do you mean one of these? Male or female? Sorry, just fed them so the water has a few fish food particles floating in the video.http://www.customartwork4u.com/Images/Fish/Albino.MOV
Not the Socolofi, like these below. There is a young alpha male at around 1:30

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
noki said:
Kipnlilo said:
noki said:

I would guess male.
Not the Socolofi, like these below. There is a young alpha male at around 1:30
Wow, I think you are right. Especially with the eyes. The top fin doesn't go upward as far as these though, I would definitely think it is some kind of mix then. I will try to get some better still pics. This fish is an absolute beauty! I hope it keeps these colors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts