Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so, hear me out...

If you have bottom dweller fish that would be happy in a shallow aquarium, but instead you get a standard height aquarium and make a removable second substrate layer like this, what problems would that introduce?

How would the fish react to that? Cleaning would be a little awkward, certainly, but it would look pretty cool imo.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would think that with bottom dwellers once they fell off the top shelf and down onto the bottom they probably wouldn't be able to find their way to the top again. Am I wrong here? So you would eventually end up with all of them on the bottom and none left on the top shelf. Unless you are talking about actual fish, in which case this would work. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Like you said it would be hard to clean under the shelf, you would need to blow it out with a powerhead or turkey baster. But not really a big deal.

There would also be no light reaching under the shelf. Which means no growth of any kind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah sorry I mean fish that stay more toward the substrate, not like stingray or snails or anything. And I was thinking to do something only half the depth of the bottom layer, so there would be some light, and I was thinking I can put a couple elbows in a gravel siphon to reach under it.

I was thinking like this:

3D printed out of white plastic, in a sort of greco roman style, so it has that "underwater ruin" look, like these kinds of things:

With a little staircase on either side, like in a grand foyer. Although I do understand that fishies can't use stairs.

·
Administrator
41,526 Posts
I agree that most of the fish will want the bottom. For rock-dwellers, they do something similar by just having a stack of rocks...they don't end up in 2 layers but hang out in nooks and crannies throughout the "cliff".

It does not double the amount of fish you can have however.

I have heard about successful large tanks with a shelf for a shell-dweller like brevis...but first you would establish the brevis on the shelf by blocking off the rest of the tank so they have no choice. Then open up the bottom and stock the rest of the fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.