Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gal tank with the Marineland DB 36" model for lighting. So I got home today and my GF decided to go and get one of them floating moss balls today and it was in the tank when I got home. First question is this lighting even bright enough to keep this alive? Also if anyone has had experience with this moss ball thing, do I need to add anything to my water to keep it alive if my nitrates are always around the 20ppm range? Any ideas how to keep the ball suspended in the water rather than it just sinking to the bottom? If it rolls over the bubbler it will rise up but then fall immediately once out of the bubble stream. I like how they looked when they were just hanging mid way in the tank like some of the ones I have seem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
They are supposed to float during the day and sink at night, but mine are always sunk at the bottom. They don't seem to mind if theres much light or not, having placed a couple in different parts of the tank I can't see any difference.

They take a while to sink as they fill with water, so for a day or three they'll float.

As I say, they are supposed to rise and fall during the day as the photosynthasis. I'm getting a new light tube tomorrow as one has juyst failed, so we shall see if the extra boost gives them a lift!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah let me know if the added light makes any difference or not. This would be considered my first live plant and am trying to figure out if my tank is even capable of growing any low light plants that my fish will not destroy.
Any input or opinions would be appreiated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts