Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 25 years of fish keeping experience. I killed many fish as a teen and early in my fish keeping years, but then decided to learn NOT to do that. I usually buy my fish online, and am religious with my weekly water changes, so disease is a rarity for me, but I've learned a lot in the last few weeks. I thought I would share my experience, as a what NOT to do.

I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to go for the "all male tank". The tank I was going to use was home to 22 Tropheus, which I moved in with 16 Petrochromis into my other 120 gallon. I looked at my usual online suppliers, but was impatient. After calling 4 LFS within 2 hours of my house and finding 15 asst types of male Peacocks and Haps in stock, I did the Florida Panhandle tour, and brought them all home 7 hours later.

I figured if I put all the fish in at once, I could treat the whole 120 gallon tank if I saw any disease, and overcrowd the tank to reduce all male aggression, and not quarantine as I went, since all my other tanks are full. I acclimatd the fish to temp and PH and put them in the tank (no LFS water placed in the tank). All was great for 3 days, but they were being a bit aggressive. Then, I started to notice some unusually frequent flashing, and I continued to watch. I didn't see anything like white ick spots, or Red gills, ulcerated fins, etc, and the fish were still eating, so I figured maybe some flukes of some kind, and decided to use some API General Cure (Metro) which I keep for my Tropheus (in case they get bloat, which they never have).

All seemed to be going better, so I bought some former fish of mine back from a friend (8 Yellow Labs and 8 Syno Multies) and added them, since the tank was just medicated I was still safe to add them(yeah right). Then my Sunshine Peacock developed an "Eye Injury". I added a little Melafix, sure that I was on top of everything. Then fish started hanging around the top of the tank, breathing was labored, and I lost 2 fish. The ones I lost had very red hemmorragic fins. I researched to find the fish probably had some sort of bacterial infection. I did a water change(everything good, no Ammnonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates less thn 20) and started dosing with Maracyn 1 and 2, and lowered the tank level to increase Oxygen from the return of my filter. Within 24 hours I lost 4 more fish, and lost fish daily for a week. My dad went into the hospital the 1st day of treatment, and I left my hubby in charge, basically asking him to continue dosing meds(Maracyn and Maracyn 2) and pull any dead fish out so they don't foul the tank.

So, I get home, close to a week later, and FINALLY I see ICK spots on the fish. They were not noticable when I left. Also, my biological filter has crashed due to meds. I don't have Ammonia , but my Nitrates are 20 and my Nitrites 10. I'm down to 12 fish, and 3 Multi catfish from 23 fish and 8 catfish. I raised the temp, and add salt, and start preforming daily water changes to keep Nitrites down. I have not lost another fish since lastTuesday, when I started the Ick treatment.

So, all in all, I've decided out of the 4 LFS and my friend, I somehow picked up at least 3 different fish diseases. This is the what not to do in Fish keeping. I have second guessed myself, maybe I was over aggressive in my treatment, but I think I might have lost more fish if I didn't take the steps I did. Who knows? I hope someone will learn something from my stupidness!

·
Registered
50 Posts
sounds like a nightmare. geez. glad to know I'm not the only one messing up!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Ugg...sorry to hear you lost some of your new peacocks. :? Are you still going to go for an all male tank? -Hope so, it's worth it in the end.
(BTW-also sorry to hear about your father)

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Awww. :( I would have done most of the same things. It sounds like you just had a run of bad luck. Hope you, your fish and your Dad feel better. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...all stable for the last week. Dad has open heart surgery on Thurs, so when things stable out, I'll set up a quarantine tank and order 6 more fish from ONE source, this time :D

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I've heard worse stories from one supplier, although I suppose each lfs has their own set of bugs that the fish are accustomed to fighting.

Ich can be hard to spot on some fish. I recently went through a bout where the fish were delivered to me with full blown ich and the bagger didn't see it. It wasn't until I took a flash photograph that the spots really showed up. :x

The multi-sourced fish scenario would likely be one where I'd treat proactively with something like Jungle Parasite Clear, Melafix, and would skip feeding for a few days. Anytime we go to an auction, we can be faced with the same potential for disease soup.

I'm glad you got it under control, although watch very carefully for secondary diseases that might pop up after the nitrite exposure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts